From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Extending Social Contract to guarantee that Gentoo will remain volunteer work
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 21:37:26
1 On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > In general, I don't have a problem with this but it needs some fine tuning
4 > to permit 'bug bounties' and the like where there is a well defined scope
5 > of work which is good value for Gentoo to pay for for the end result.
6 >
7 > The Foundation has paid a bug bounty once that I an aware of.
8 > The discussion and vote is in the trustees meetings logs.
9 >
10 > What about non technical work?
11 > We may actually need to pay for legal and or financial advice and
12 > the like, where we cannot find pro bono support.
15 ++
16
17 In any case, I think this is largely a non-issue, other than maybe
18 just talking about it and being honest about the state of affairs. I
19 don't think we need to optimize right now for something that isn't
20 likely to be the reality anytime soon. On the other hand, nobody can
21 say what the needs of Gentoo will be 20 years from now (not that I
22 think anybody working on Gentoo then should feel bound by what we do
23 today).
24
25 We're really not in any danger of being taken over by professional
26 management anytime soon. I get that there is some of that talk and I
27 see this as a bit of a line in the sand in reaction, but I don't think
28 it is necessary as a formal policy.
29
30 I don't have any issue with the odd bug bounty, but I think there are
31 a bunch of lessons to be learned about the last time we tried this (it
32 isn't like anything bad happened, but it wasn't optimal either). For
33 the moment just staying compliant occupies about 150% of the
34 Foundation's time it seems, not that the one has to come sequentially
35 before the other.
36
37 I'll agree with William's sentiment that people can already hire
38 Gentoo devs to do things anyway, though I'll take it a step further
39 and say there really is no such thing as a "bad contribution" as long
40 as the overall principles of Gentoo remain in control. I personally
41 think that upstart is a bit of a dead end at this point, but if
42 somebody wants to pay somebody a fortune to make it a viable option
43 for our users, well, more power to them. That doesn't lessen in any
44 way the experience of those who choose differently, and that is the
45 power of Gentoo (just an arbitrary example in a contentious space).
46
47 I'll also say that while I do think that it is best to leave the
48 governance in the control of the developers, it isn't because I
49 believe we should feel like we have some personal claim to Gentoo such
50 that we can shackle those who come after us. I think that developers
51 should control the distro because they've demonstrated that they can
52 be trusted and because they're invested, but beyond the GPL I don't
53 think that anybody owes us anything down the road. It isn't about
54 control so that we can take it where we want to but control because it
55 is the best way to ensure that Gentoo keeps going where we've already
56 agreed we want it to go (social contract and all that).
57
58 In general though I would not be eager to see Gentoo change into a
59 largely-paid organization. I think it really changes the character of
60 any community, and I think anybody would be hard-pressed to come up
61 with an example of where this is not the case.
64 Rich