From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Extending Social Contract to guarantee that Gentoo will remain volunteer work
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:46:27
1 On 2017.01.26 15:03, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > [discussion intended at -nfp, CC-ing -project]
3 >
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I would like to add an additional clause to the Gentoo Social Contract
7 > [1], to guarantee that Gentoo will remain a volunteer-based project
8 > and will not turn into some kind of paid enterprise. The suggested
9 > text
10 > would be:
11 >
12 > | Gentoo is and will remain independent volunteer work. We will never
13 > | pay anyone to develop Gentoo, nor will we accept any donations given
14 > | on the condition of any particular development.
15 >
16 > Text improvements welcome.
17 >
18 [snip]
19 >
20 > [1]:https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html
21 >
22 > --
23 > Best regards,
24 > Michał Górny
25 > <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>
28 Michał,
29
30 In general, I don't have a problem with this but it needs some fine tuning
31 to permit 'bug bounties' and the like where there is a well defined scope
32 of work which is good value for Gentoo to pay for for the end result.
33
34 The Foundation has paid a bug bounty once that I an aware of.
35 The discussion and vote is in the trustees meetings logs.
36
37 What about non technical work?
38 We may actually need to pay for legal and or financial advice and
39 the like, where we cannot find pro bono support.
40
41 If the intent was to rule out paid employees doing what they want and
42 pushing Gentoo wherever they wanted it to go, its not going to happen
43 any time soon. Gentoo cannot afford even a single full time employee.
44 Then there are all the admin overheads associated with employee(s).
45 In any case, paid employees are assigned work. That would be no
46 different in Gentoo. Then maybe we would need paid managers too.
49 Regards,
50
51 Roy Bamford
52 (Neddyseagoon) a member of