From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] RFC: OSUOSL Fundraiser
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 19:59:13
1 Hi,
2
3 In our last meeting (the AGM) we briefly discussed giving to the OSL, who
4 graciously host much of the equipment for Gentoo Foundation Inc at no cost
5 to us (including space, bandwidth, cooling, and power[0].) We have not
6 given the OSL money in a few years.
7
8 - $50.00 in 2009
9 - $6,000 in 2013
10 - Possibly a $2,000 payment in 2017; the board approved this payment but
11 it's unclear we made it (I sent mail separately to follow up on this.)
12
13 The OSL is itself a tax-exempt 501c3 tax-exempt organization. Currently we
14 are not, so it seems more efficient to just raise money directly to the
15 OSL. I see 3 options here:
16
17 (1) Create a fundraiser page that talks about why we need to raise money
18 for the OSL and the donate link goes to the OSL donation page.
19 (2) Create a fundraiser page that talks about why we need to raise money
20 for the OSL, and the donate link goes to a paypal account that is
21 specifically for this fundraiser and is time limited (is not our normal
22 paypal account.)
23 (3) Create a fundraiser page that talks about why we need to raise money
24 for the OSL, and the donate link goes to our normal paypal account.
25
26 I think (1) is probably 'best' but their donation system seems to only take
27 credit cards and I suspect many of our users are more familiar with paypal.
28 The difference between (2) and (3) is mostly a question for the CPA as to
29 whether, if we do 2 we can avoid paying taxes on these funds (which we are
30 basically raising on behalf of a tax-exempt organization.) If there is no
31 clear tax advantage for (2) then we should do (1) or (3).
32
33 Thoughts?
34
35 -A