From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] RFC: OSUOSL Fundraiser
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 22:08:55
1 On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 12:58:59PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > I think (1) is probably 'best' but their donation system seems to only take
6 > credit cards and I suspect many of our users are more familiar with paypal.
7 > The difference between (2) and (3) is mostly a question for the CPA as to
8 > whether, if we do 2 we can avoid paying taxes on these funds (which we are
9 > basically raising on behalf of a tax-exempt organization.) If there is no
10 > clear tax advantage for (2) then we should do (1) or (3).
11 >
12 > Thoughts?
13
14 Maybe we could do a "media campaign" to raise awareness of OSUOSL's
15 support for Gentoo. Through the campaign, we can inform our supports and
16 direct them to make a donation to the OSUOSL directly via [1]. Also,
17 maybe OSUOSL can setup a direct link to track the donations on behalf of
18 Gentoo or we could simply ask that individuals leave a comment as to why
19 they are donating on the page.
20
21 This would avoid any worries regarding taxes and setting up accounts
22 then transferring monies.
23
24 [1]: https://osuosl.org/donate/
27 Cheers,