From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 01:34:39
1 On 06/01/17 01:15, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >> My general assertion here is that:
4 >>
5 >> 1) If the foundation is prevented legally from accepting a member due to
6 >> their country of origin, its also probable that the foundation is unable to
7 >> accept any contributions from said member for similar reasons.
8 >>
9 >> 2) If the foundation is able to legally accept a member due to their country
10 >> of origin, its probable that the foundation is able to accept their
11 >> contributions.
12 >>
13 >> I suspect that the gap where the foundation cannot legally accept a member,
14 >> but somehow it can accept their contributions) is not noteworthy.
15 >>
16 > I tend to agree. The other good news here is that US embargoes have
17 > been dwindling of late. Iran and Cuba were the really big ones in the
18 > past, and both of those are on their way out. However, this is one of
19 > the downsides to having your sole legal existence in the US. I'm not
20 > sure to what extent having independent orgs in multiple countries
21 > helps here.
22 >
23 Out of interest, what proportion of the current 'staff'/developer list
24 is actually US-resident? Would it better serve the distro, since most of
25 the devs *I* know are domiciled in Europe, for instance .. to be
26 elsewhere? Particularly if the US as a country is becoming more hostile
27 to other countries?!