From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Events Kit!
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:12:49
1 On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 17:25 +0000, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
2 > How does one go about writing a proposal for funding? Is there a form
3 > somewhere or do I just e-mail trustees@?
4
5 http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/requesting-funds.xml
6
7 > To give you a quick rundown of what I am after, having had the pleasure
8 > of diving into the Events kits for Joomla and GNOME I really want us to
9 > have similar, they have a large metal box that is shipped to various
10 > conferences (when they're not at an event it lives in the garage of one
11 > of their developers and it's contents are replenished and checked prior
12 > to each event), the box contains T-shirts in various sizes for people to
13 > wear at the event (so, they do it fairly cheap and wash and reuse, I see
14 > no problem with that if kept in good condition), leaflets, two TFTs, two
15 > small machines (I'll ask around and see if we can score a couple of free
16 > machines, I'm thinking one X86 or AMD64 box and one PPC (or other
17 > arch)), some cables, some swag as give-aways (KDE does some nifty pin
18 > badges, others do funky case badges, we could also look at pens, or
19 > branded mints or whatever), a small projector, posters, a sign, t-shirts
20 > etc for sale and a small cashbox.
21
22 I like the shirt idea. We could get a few more of the nice polo shirts
23 from Land's End that we've been using at LWE in the US. I'm not sure
24 about the hardware, as it seems to be fairly easy to get hardware
25 to/from the shows. I could see including a cheap switch of some sort,
26 since that seems to be always needed. We have a nice poster, which is
27 currently in Kurt Lieber's possession, which we should use for this.
28 Also, remember that we can't sell anything at US shows, but we can give
29 stuff away and ask for donations. All in all, I definitely like the
30 idea.
31
32 > I have some better notes on paper, which actually gives a greater idea
33 > and I am waiting to get a few quotes back for various things before I
34 > propose that you give us (PR) the cash to do it. If we do T-shirt and CD
35 > sale fex. then the initial outlay should be covered fairly fast, and the
36 > kit would become selfsufficient for re-stocking swag and leaflets.
37
38 I can't wait to hear the details.
39
40 > On a different note, I was saddened to see that LWE UK has had a 'Gentoo
41 > not welcome' rule for a while now, after our developers kept booking
42 > booths and not turning up.. I believe that is now rectified and we are
43 > more than welcome in the future, even if it did cost me a hangover and
44 > endless hours of talk with the guys that sponsor the .org pavillion! ;)
45
46 Do you think it would be helpful to have all of this sort of
47 communications filtered through the trustees? We definitely don't want
48 any sort of bad reputation, so I know that I'm willing to do whatever is
49 requested of me to assist in this matter.
50
51 > I'd also like to ask what sort of time frame we look at for having a
52 > funding proposal approved, as it would be nice to get a kit ready by
53 > early 2007 as there's a few conferences happening. I know off-hand that
54 > we'll have a official presence at SCALE, FOSSDEM, Linuxforum and
55 > possibly LISA. All of which take place in February and March, which
56 > would mean it'd be nice to be able to send a kit across to the
57 > developers present at these and replenish as needed inbetween.
58
59 It would be nice. I know that I'll be bringing some of my own equipment
60 for FOSDEM. It would be very nice to have T-shirts there, as it was a
61 heavily-requested item at the show.
62
63 One thing to consider is we need to come up with some sort of guidelines
64 on what to do with the monies gathered at the shows, if any.
67 Chris Gianelloni
68 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
69 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
70 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
71 Gentoo Foundation