From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:58:38
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 03:29:34PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53:48AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > > > > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
4 > > > > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the Foundation.
5 > > >
6 > > > The reasoning is simple. We haven't been able to maintain Foundation
7 > > > in really good standing *for years*. Even if we are closing to
8 > > > *finally* fix things, it mostly relies on a few people putting a lot of
9 > > > work, and this means low bus factor. There's no way to know that
10 > > > a future Trustee board won't mess everything up again, and we still
11 > > > barely have any candidates in the elections.
12 > > By-laws can mandate the retention of a CPA.
13 > Can, but possibly shouldn't. Just because our filings are complex now,
14 > doesn't mean they always will be. The SPI's 990 filings were initially
15 > prepared with the aid of a CPA, but later on were prepared directly by
16 > the SPI's treasurer, as they gained confidence in the process.
19 You often say a lot of things should not be in the by-laws and I have yet to
20 figure out your rationale for such a view and I frankly disagree with it.
21
22 *By-laws govern the trustees just as much as they do the general membership
23 interests in the distribution*
24
25 It is very wise to put such a by-law in place. Just as I believe the use of
26 certain licenses within Gentoo should be codified in the by-laws.
29 Cheers,
30 Aaron