From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 16:54:12
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:58:34AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 03:29:34PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53:48AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 > > > > > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
5 > > > > > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the Foundation.
6 > > > >
7 > > > > The reasoning is simple. We haven't been able to maintain Foundation
8 > > > > in really good standing *for years*. Even if we are closing to
9 > > > > *finally* fix things, it mostly relies on a few people putting a lot of
10 > > > > work, and this means low bus factor. There's no way to know that
11 > > > > a future Trustee board won't mess everything up again, and we still
12 > > > > barely have any candidates in the elections.
13 > > > By-laws can mandate the retention of a CPA.
14 > > Can, but possibly shouldn't. Just because our filings are complex now,
15 > > doesn't mean they always will be. The SPI's 990 filings were initially
16 > > prepared with the aid of a CPA, but later on were prepared directly by
17 > > the SPI's treasurer, as they gained confidence in the process.
18 > You often say a lot of things should not be in the by-laws and I have yet to
19 > figure out your rationale for such a view and I frankly disagree with it.
20 >
21 > *By-laws govern the trustees just as much as they do the general membership
22 > interests in the distribution*
23 >
24 > It is very wise to put such a by-law in place.
25 By-laws and articles of incorporation are the guiding principles for how
26 an organization should work. They are not the exact implementation
27 details.
28
29 We should have a lot more implementation documentation, and process
30 documents about HOW we follow the guiding principles. My recent thread
31 about establishing a more formalized timeline for the Trustee election
32 was an example of that.
33
34 To change the implementation detail, should not require invoking a
35 motion of the board, or changing the bylaws.
36
37 With respect to the CPA example, I entirely support such an amendment to
38 bylaws that says something like:
39 "The Treasurer shall maintain up to date financial statements and
40 required filings, published no later than the filing deadlines for each
41 fiscal period."
42
43 (The existing bylaw bindings on the Treasurer require that the financial
44 records are "full and accurate", but don't place any timelines on it
45 other than presenting at the AGM)
46
47 The implementation details break it down further:
48 - The IRS filing deadline for the 990 form is the 15th day of the 5th
49 month after the fiscal period end [1]
50 - The New Mexico filings are due 4.5 months after end of fiscal
51 - Until such time as the Treasurer or delegate can prepare the financial
52 statements, the Board shall retain a book-keeper for the financial
53 statements.
54 - Until such time as the Treasurer or delegate can prepare IRS filings,
55 the Board shall retain a CPA to complete them.
56 - The Treasurer or delegate shall present draft financial statements at
57 least 60 days before the deadline.
58 - The Treasurer or delegate shall present draft 990 filings at least 30
59 days before the deadline.
60
61 > Just as I believe the use of certain licenses within Gentoo should be
62 > codified in the by-laws.
63 This one gets even murkier: for a NEW work, the choice of license is up
64 to the copyright holder (as as the ability to relicense it). The
65 Foundation isn't the copyright holder anymore, so can't force which
66 license gets used on something.
67
68 The Foundation can pass something that says that any packages for which
69 Gentoo is upstream and the package is in base-system shall be licensed
70 with a license that is FSF approved or OSI approved.
71
72 The implementation detail would break it down to say which packages and
73 which licenses in more depth. And probably be careful to exclude AGPL
74 licenses from certain components.
75
76 [1] https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/annual-exempt-organization-return-due-date
79 Robin Hugh Johnson
80 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
81 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
82 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
83 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136