From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:46:38
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 04:54:04PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:58:34AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 03:29:34PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > > > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53:48AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
5 > > > > > > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
6 > > > > > > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the Foundation.
7 > > > > >
8 > > > > > The reasoning is simple. We haven't been able to maintain Foundation
9 > > > > > in really good standing *for years*. Even if we are closing to
10 > > > > > *finally* fix things, it mostly relies on a few people putting a lot of
11 > > > > > work, and this means low bus factor. There's no way to know that
12 > > > > > a future Trustee board won't mess everything up again, and we still
13 > > > > > barely have any candidates in the elections.
14 > > > > By-laws can mandate the retention of a CPA.
15 > > > Can, but possibly shouldn't. Just because our filings are complex now,
16 > > > doesn't mean they always will be. The SPI's 990 filings were initially
17 > > > prepared with the aid of a CPA, but later on were prepared directly by
18 > > > the SPI's treasurer, as they gained confidence in the process.
19 > > You often say a lot of things should not be in the by-laws and I have yet to
20 > > figure out your rationale for such a view and I frankly disagree with it.
21 > >
22 > > *By-laws govern the trustees just as much as they do the general membership
23 > > interests in the distribution*
24 > >
25 > > It is very wise to put such a by-law in place.
26 > By-laws and articles of incorporation are the guiding principles for how
27 > an organization should work. They are not the exact implementation
28 > details.
31 You are debating whether the general membership should vote for the amendment of
32 by-law's to force *their* elected board to retain a CPA?
33
34 This is precisely what by-laws are for. Guiding principles as you stated. That
35 would be a guiding principle.
36
37 Debating "implementation details" is rather a technical Agile like approach to
38 how things should run.
39
40 > We should have a lot more implementation documentation, and process
41 > documents about HOW we follow the guiding principles. My recent thread
42 > about establishing a more formalized timeline for the Trustee election
43 > was an example of that.
46 Such a timeline can easily be adopted into the by-laws. Look at SPI for an
47 example. We don't need separate documentation to follow some DevOp'ish like
48 methodology.
49
50 > To change the implementation detail, should not require invoking a
51 > motion of the board, or changing the bylaws.
54 Of course, I would say it would when such things should be legally held liable.
55 Hence, the example I gave about retaining a CPA.
56
57 > With respect to the CPA example, I entirely support such an amendment to
58 > bylaws that says something like:
59 > "The Treasurer shall maintain up to date financial statements and
60 > required filings, published no later than the filing deadlines for each
61 > fiscal period."
64 I would partially agree with such a statement. However, I would say something
65 like:
66
67 "The Treasurer shall maintain an active relationship with a certified CPA to
68 ensure that all financials are up to date...etc"
69
70 The certified part here is key and is a part of understanding why retaining a
71 CPA is paramount.
72
73 > (The existing bylaw bindings on the Treasurer require that the financial
74 > records are "full and accurate", but don't place any timelines on it
75 > other than presenting at the AGM)
76 >
77 > The implementation details break it down further:
78 > - The IRS filing deadline for the 990 form is the 15th day of the 5th
79 > month after the fiscal period end [1]
80 > - The New Mexico filings are due 4.5 months after end of fiscal
81 > - Until such time as the Treasurer or delegate can prepare the financial
82 > statements, the Board shall retain a book-keeper for the financial
83 > statements.
84 > - Until such time as the Treasurer or delegate can prepare IRS filings,
85 > the Board shall retain a CPA to complete them.
86 > - The Treasurer or delegate shall present draft financial statements at
87 > least 60 days before the deadline.
88 > - The Treasurer or delegate shall present draft 990 filings at least 30
89 > days before the deadline.
92 These are specific tax code requirements which you attempt to put in parallel to
93 implementation details in a DevOp'ish like world, but at the trustee level.
94
95 > > Just as I believe the use of certain licenses within Gentoo should be
96 > > codified in the by-laws.
97 > This one gets even murkier: for a NEW work, the choice of license is up
98 > to the copyright holder (as as the ability to relicense it). The
99 > Foundation isn't the copyright holder anymore, so can't force which
100 > license gets used on something.
103 This is not a debate as to the validity of said licenses or how the GPL, for
104 instance, stands up in court. This is protecting the project from accepting
105 potential works into their repos which are hosted and paid for by the legal
106 entity that is Gentoo Foundation. Hence, we take on liability, but may not hold
107 the copyright to said code.
108
109 Let's not forget that folks like SFC spend their time defending the GPL. This
110 shows precedent for how legally based entities and peoples must still defend
111 such licenses.
112
113 Using the GPL as an example, your above statement somehow implies the GPL is
114 self-governing when in reality it is not. People must defend it in some form or
115 fashion.
116
117 What did we see following the Linux kernel license debacles? A Linux Foundation
118 stood up to assist in protecting the licenses protecting their code. I am *not*
119 implying this was the only reason/justification behind the LF.
120
121 > The Foundation can pass something that says that any packages for which
122 > Gentoo is upstream and the package is in base-system shall be licensed
123 > with a license that is FSF approved or OSI approved.
124 >
125 > The implementation detail would break it down to say which packages and
126 > which licenses in more depth. And probably be careful to exclude AGPL
127 > licenses from certain components.
130 See above. This was not the point. The point was, that we need to govern what
131 we, as a Foundation, allow to be hosted and/or published in our repos.
134 Cheers,
135 Aaron