From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 23:17:07
1 On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 1:35 PM Brad Teaford Cowan <bradly.cowan@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 17:48 +0100, Michael Everitt wrote:
5 > > On 06/09/19 15:36, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
6 > > > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 06:51:00PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 > > > > On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Robin H. Johnson <
8 > > > > robbat2@g.o> wrote:
9 > > > > > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 01:45:25PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
10 > > > > > > > 3. It is really meaningless. Casting a vote does not
11 > > > > > > > really indicate
12 > > > > > > > any interest in GF. It only indicates that someone has
13 > > > > > > > done the minimal
14 > > > > > > > effort to avoid being kicked. There is no reason to
15 > > > > > > > conflate the two.
16 > > > > > > I'm certainly interested in other avenues of interest, but I
17 > > > > > > don't see very
18 > > > > > > many in this thread other than "AGM attendance" and "asking
19 > > > > > > people if they
20 > > > > > > are interested[0]"
21 > > > > > - Does involvement on mailing lists count?
22 > > > > > - What other ways outside development might somebody be
23 > > > > > involved in
24 > > > > > Gentoo? Not everybody is a developer, let alone an ebuild
25 > > > > > developer.
26 > > > > > What if we wound up with PR people who weren't devs at all,
27 > > > > > but loved
28 > > > > > to talk about Gentoo?
29 > > > > Gentoo developers do not have to have commit access. If somebody
30 > > > > is
31 > > > > doing significant PR work for Gentoo then they should be made a
32 > > > > developer. Developers do not need to pass the ebuild quiz.
33 > > > I meant "developer" as the generic "one who develops software".
34 > > > Ebuilds are not the only code-like activity, there's multiple other
35 > > > software packages that Gentoo relies on: openrc, netifrc,
36 > > > genkernel,
37 > > > catalyst, eselect are some of them.
38 > > > They may have commit access to those packages, and not to ebuilds.
39 > > >
40 > > > I need to distinguish between:
41 > > > - ebuild coding contribution
42 > > > - non-ebuild-coding contribution
43 > > > - non-coding contribution
44 > > >
45 > > > > Anybody with an @g.o email address is a developer.
46 > > > >
47 > > > > We used to use the term "staff" but anybody who used to be
48 > > > > considered
49 > > > > "staff" is now considered a "developer."
50 > > > I stated when the switch away from "staff" was done, that I felt we
51 > > > were
52 > > > doing ourselves a dis-service by not picking a better word than
53 > > > "developer" - something that includes all of the contributions
54 > > > above,
55 > > > without implying specific technical skills. "Contributor" was down-
56 > > > voted
57 > > > at the time.
58 > > >
59 > > Reading (somewhat extensively) between the lines, there is a subtle
60 > > move
61 > > for those developing code and ebuilds to "take over" control and
62 > > management
63 > > of the distribution (cf. electorate of 'council'). Whether this is
64 > > something that is (1) really happening or (2) desirable, I shall
65 > > leave as
66 > > an exercise for the reader; but I thought was probably worth
67 > > highlighting.
71 > As a long time former dev, who went through the rough times that
72 > necessitated the formation of the foundation, I felt I needed to
73 > respond to these posts. First of all, the foundation was formed in
74 > defense of the exact situation that Gentoo is facing now, as a control
75 > buffer keeping certain developers from literally taking over every
76 > aspect of the distro for their own gain. Whether that gain be money,
77 > power, or posturing for a job at Red Hat et al. The foundation has
78 > systemically been weakened, preening membership by any means possible.
79 > Eventually we will be left with just those developers seeking these
80 > gains ie. umbrella. This directly puts Gentoo right back in harms way,
81 > the original position it was pre-foundation.
82 >
83 > I lost my membership after missing a couple votes I assume, even
84 > though I had thought I was assured a lifetime seat being an original
85 > member. I know there are lots of other ex-developers out there who
86 > still love Gentoo at heart and deserve their right to protect its
87 > direction and IP from these threats from within. I personally think the
88 > foundation should be stengthened and more a separation from developer
89 > to foundation member. It's almost a conflict of interest or just asking
90 > for corruption to be in control of the foundation and the council.
91 > Anyway, now I'm rambling, so in closing, No changes unless they are to
92 > add and or strengthen foundation and not weaken it further. THANKS
96 So my response to this post is basically that we don't have enough people
97 interested in running the Foundation. The Foundation originally had 9 board
98 seats, then 7, then 5. The 5 are mostly filled with veterans (robin: joined
99 2003, me: joined 2006, prometheanfire: joined 2011) who don't want these
100 positions but feel they need to be filled by people who will actually
101 fulfill these duties. If the Foundation "needs to be strengthened" then we
102 need candidates actually willing to do these jobs well. In the past
103 election robin and I both resigned in an attempt to make space on the board
104 for new members. We had 1 additional person run and all of the incumbents
105 were re-elected to the board. This is a bad thing! The current board
106 doesn't want to run the Foundation, we tried to recruit new board members
107 and basically got 1 recruit, and the Foundation didn't elect them to the
108 board!
109
110 The minimum board size in New Mexico is 3; so technically its possible to
111 drop two seats and run a board that is [b-man, alicef, mgorny] and robin
112 and I and prometheanfire can all resign. But in the end I think we will
113 face similar problems; there just are not enough humans left who care to do
114 this job. Strengthening the Foundation means finding humans who are willing
115 to do this long term and most people are not. The people who want the
116 umbrella are not "seeking power" (I want the umbrella and I'm the board
117 president!) we want it because we think the umbrella will do at worst, the
118 same job we have done and at best, do a better job.
119
120 -A