From: Brad Teaford Cowan <bradly.cowan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 20:35:30
1 On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 17:48 +0100, Michael Everitt wrote:
2 > On 06/09/19 15:36, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 06:51:00PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > > On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Robin H. Johnson <
5 > > > robbat2@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 01:45:25PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
7 > > > > > > 3. It is really meaningless. Casting a vote does not
8 > > > > > > really indicate
9 > > > > > > any interest in GF. It only indicates that someone has
10 > > > > > > done the minimal
11 > > > > > > effort to avoid being kicked. There is no reason to
12 > > > > > > conflate the two.
13 > > > > > I'm certainly interested in other avenues of interest, but I
14 > > > > > don't see very
15 > > > > > many in this thread other than "AGM attendance" and "asking
16 > > > > > people if they
17 > > > > > are interested[0]"
18 > > > > - Does involvement on mailing lists count?
19 > > > > - What other ways outside development might somebody be
20 > > > > involved in
21 > > > > Gentoo? Not everybody is a developer, let alone an ebuild
22 > > > > developer.
23 > > > > What if we wound up with PR people who weren't devs at all,
24 > > > > but loved
25 > > > > to talk about Gentoo?
26 > > > Gentoo developers do not have to have commit access. If somebody
27 > > > is
28 > > > doing significant PR work for Gentoo then they should be made a
29 > > > developer. Developers do not need to pass the ebuild quiz.
30 > > I meant "developer" as the generic "one who develops software".
31 > > Ebuilds are not the only code-like activity, there's multiple other
32 > > software packages that Gentoo relies on: openrc, netifrc,
33 > > genkernel,
34 > > catalyst, eselect are some of them.
35 > > They may have commit access to those packages, and not to ebuilds.
36 > >
37 > > I need to distinguish between:
38 > > - ebuild coding contribution
39 > > - non-ebuild-coding contribution
40 > > - non-coding contribution
41 > >
42 > > > Anybody with an @g.o email address is a developer.
43 > > >
44 > > > We used to use the term "staff" but anybody who used to be
45 > > > considered
46 > > > "staff" is now considered a "developer."
47 > > I stated when the switch away from "staff" was done, that I felt we
48 > > were
49 > > doing ourselves a dis-service by not picking a better word than
50 > > "developer" - something that includes all of the contributions
51 > > above,
52 > > without implying specific technical skills. "Contributor" was down-
53 > > voted
54 > > at the time.
55 > >
56 > Reading (somewhat extensively) between the lines, there is a subtle
57 > move
58 > for those developing code and ebuilds to "take over" control and
59 > management
60 > of the distribution (cf. electorate of 'council'). Whether this is
61 > something that is (1) really happening or (2) desirable, I shall
62 > leave as
63 > an exercise for the reader; but I thought was probably worth
64 > highlighting.
68 As a long time former dev, who went through the rough times that
69 necessitated the formation of the foundation, I felt I needed to
70 respond to these posts. First of all, the foundation was formed in
71 defense of the exact situation that Gentoo is facing now, as a control
72 buffer keeping certain developers from literally taking over every
73 aspect of the distro for their own gain. Whether that gain be money,
74 power, or posturing for a job at Red Hat et al. The foundation has
75 systemically been weakened, preening membership by any means possible.
76 Eventually we will be left with just those developers seeking these
77 gains ie. umbrella. This directly puts Gentoo right back in harms way,
78 the original position it was pre-foundation.
79
80 I lost my membership after missing a couple votes I assume, even
81 though I had thought I was assured a lifetime seat being an original
82 member. I know there are lots of other ex-developers out there who
83 still love Gentoo at heart and deserve their right to protect its
84 direction and IP from these threats from within. I personally think the
85 foundation should be stengthened and more a separation from developer
86 to foundation member. It's almost a conflict of interest or just asking
87 for corruption to be in control of the foundation and the council.
88 Anyway, now I'm rambling, so in closing, No changes unless they are to
89 add and or strengthen foundation and not weaken it further. THANKS