From: Michael Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 16:48:21
1 On 06/09/19 15:36, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 06:51:00PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 01:45:25PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
5 >>>>> 3. It is really meaningless. Casting a vote does not really indicate
6 >>>>> any interest in GF. It only indicates that someone has done the minimal
7 >>>>> effort to avoid being kicked. There is no reason to conflate the two.
8 >>>> I'm certainly interested in other avenues of interest, but I don't see very
9 >>>> many in this thread other than "AGM attendance" and "asking people if they
10 >>>> are interested[0]"
11 >>> - Does involvement on mailing lists count?
12 >>> - What other ways outside development might somebody be involved in
13 >>> Gentoo? Not everybody is a developer, let alone an ebuild developer.
14 >>> What if we wound up with PR people who weren't devs at all, but loved
15 >>> to talk about Gentoo?
16 >> Gentoo developers do not have to have commit access. If somebody is
17 >> doing significant PR work for Gentoo then they should be made a
18 >> developer. Developers do not need to pass the ebuild quiz.
19 > I meant "developer" as the generic "one who develops software".
20 > Ebuilds are not the only code-like activity, there's multiple other
21 > software packages that Gentoo relies on: openrc, netifrc, genkernel,
22 > catalyst, eselect are some of them.
23 > They may have commit access to those packages, and not to ebuilds.
24 >
25 > I need to distinguish between:
26 > - ebuild coding contribution
27 > - non-ebuild-coding contribution
28 > - non-coding contribution
29 >
30 >> Anybody with an @g.o email address is a developer.
31 >>
32 >> We used to use the term "staff" but anybody who used to be considered
33 >> "staff" is now considered a "developer."
34 > I stated when the switch away from "staff" was done, that I felt we were
35 > doing ourselves a dis-service by not picking a better word than
36 > "developer" - something that includes all of the contributions above,
37 > without implying specific technical skills. "Contributor" was down-voted
38 > at the time.
39 >
40 Reading (somewhat extensively) between the lines, there is a subtle move
41 for those developing code and ebuilds to "take over" control and management
42 of the distribution (cf. electorate of 'council'). Whether this is
43 something that is (1) really happening or (2) desirable, I shall leave as
44 an exercise for the reader; but I thought was probably worth highlighting.