From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 14:36:15
1 On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 06:51:00PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 01:45:25PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > > > 3. It is really meaningless. Casting a vote does not really indicate
6 > > > > any interest in GF. It only indicates that someone has done the minimal
7 > > > > effort to avoid being kicked. There is no reason to conflate the two.
8 > > > I'm certainly interested in other avenues of interest, but I don't see very
9 > > > many in this thread other than "AGM attendance" and "asking people if they
10 > > > are interested[0]"
11 > > - Does involvement on mailing lists count?
12 > > - What other ways outside development might somebody be involved in
13 > > Gentoo? Not everybody is a developer, let alone an ebuild developer.
14 > > What if we wound up with PR people who weren't devs at all, but loved
15 > > to talk about Gentoo?
16 >
17 > Gentoo developers do not have to have commit access. If somebody is
18 > doing significant PR work for Gentoo then they should be made a
19 > developer. Developers do not need to pass the ebuild quiz.
20 I meant "developer" as the generic "one who develops software".
21 Ebuilds are not the only code-like activity, there's multiple other
22 software packages that Gentoo relies on: openrc, netifrc, genkernel,
23 catalyst, eselect are some of them.
24 They may have commit access to those packages, and not to ebuilds.
25
26 I need to distinguish between:
27 - ebuild coding contribution
28 - non-ebuild-coding contribution
29 - non-coding contribution
30
31 > Anybody with an @g.o email address is a developer.
32 >
33 > We used to use the term "staff" but anybody who used to be considered
34 > "staff" is now considered a "developer."
35 I stated when the switch away from "staff" was done, that I felt we were
36 doing ourselves a dis-service by not picking a better word than
37 "developer" - something that includes all of the contributions above,
38 without implying specific technical skills. "Contributor" was down-voted
39 at the time.
42 Robin Hugh Johnson
43 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
44 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
45 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
46 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136