From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 17:32:54
1 On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 9:48 AM Michael Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
2
3 > On 06/09/19 15:36, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 06:51:00PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >> On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > >>> On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 01:45:25PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
8 > >>>>> 3. It is really meaningless. Casting a vote does not really indicate
9 > >>>>> any interest in GF. It only indicates that someone has done the
10 > minimal
11 > >>>>> effort to avoid being kicked. There is no reason to conflate the
12 > two.
13 > >>>> I'm certainly interested in other avenues of interest, but I don't
14 > see very
15 > >>>> many in this thread other than "AGM attendance" and "asking people if
16 > they
17 > >>>> are interested[0]"
18 > >>> - Does involvement on mailing lists count?
19 > >>> - What other ways outside development might somebody be involved in
20 > >>> Gentoo? Not everybody is a developer, let alone an ebuild developer.
21 > >>> What if we wound up with PR people who weren't devs at all, but loved
22 > >>> to talk about Gentoo?
23 > >> Gentoo developers do not have to have commit access. If somebody is
24 > >> doing significant PR work for Gentoo then they should be made a
25 > >> developer. Developers do not need to pass the ebuild quiz.
26 > > I meant "developer" as the generic "one who develops software".
27 > > Ebuilds are not the only code-like activity, there's multiple other
28 > > software packages that Gentoo relies on: openrc, netifrc, genkernel,
29 > > catalyst, eselect are some of them.
30 > > They may have commit access to those packages, and not to ebuilds.
31 > >
32 > > I need to distinguish between:
33 > > - ebuild coding contribution
34 > > - non-ebuild-coding contribution
35 > > - non-coding contribution
36 > >
37 > >> Anybody with an @g.o email address is a developer.
38 > >>
39 > >> We used to use the term "staff" but anybody who used to be considered
40 > >> "staff" is now considered a "developer."
41 > > I stated when the switch away from "staff" was done, that I felt we were
42 > > doing ourselves a dis-service by not picking a better word than
43 > > "developer" - something that includes all of the contributions above,
44 > > without implying specific technical skills. "Contributor" was down-voted
45 > > at the time.
46 > >
47 > Reading (somewhat extensively) between the lines, there is a subtle move
48 > for those developing code and ebuilds to "take over" control and management
49 > of the distribution (cf. electorate of 'council'). Whether this is
50 > something that is (1) really happening or (2) desirable, I shall leave as
51 > an exercise for the reader; but I thought was probably worth highlighting.
54 Most of the existing board resigned in the last election, so if anyone
55 wanted to 'take over' the Foundation there was ample opportunity; but
56 everyone who resigned was re-elected. It seems like this theory has some
57 holes in practice ;)
58
59 -A