From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 00:59:13
1 On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM Brad Teaford Cowan
2 <bradly.cowan@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > First of all, the foundation was formed in
5 > defense of the exact situation that Gentoo is facing now, as a control
6 > buffer keeping certain developers from literally taking over every
7 > aspect of the distro for their own gain.
8
9 This seems really odd to me. I don't think there are any signs that a
10 very small number of devs have an unusual amount of control at the
11 moment. Over the last few years we've had a reasonable amount of
12 turnover in both the Council and the Trustees. Sure, we have devs who
13 are more active than others in making proposals, and so on, but these
14 generally require approval by others. To the extent that a few key
15 team leads have more significant influence, their decisions almost
16 always can be appealed.
17
18 Ironically the Foundation Trustees are the weaker link historically
19 when it comes to having a small number of people able to "take over."
20 At one point we only had 3 Trustees I think, and I believe two of
21 those disappeared. At that point our one remaining Trustee could have
22 probably just set himself up as benevolent dictator if desired, and
23 there was actually talk at the time about moving to that model
24 (drobbins offered to take the role as I recall - IMO without any ill
25 intent). Now, at no point did anybody do anything "bad" as far as I'm
26 aware, but I'm just saying that it could have happened. This is
27 simply because we don't have a lot of people interested in Foundation
28 work. After this crisis more people stepped up to try to prevent his
29 from happening, and since then we've always been able to keep the
30 seats fairly full, though we've still struggled with the housekeeping.
31
32 In any case, I don't really see how the Foundation can really operate
33 as some kind of check because to the degree that the Foundation has
34 some kind of ultimate control, anybody who wanted to do something
35 "bad" could just take over the Foundation, and it would basically
36 involve the exact same work they would have to do to take over the
37 Council, except for which group they'd need to get representatives
38 onto. The voting pools for the two substantially overlap. In the
39 unlikely event of some kind of total breakdown between the developers
40 and foundation members you'd basically have one group that does all
41 the work and the other which owns the name and servers, and you'd
42 probably just end up with a fork under a new name using minimal/free
43 infra until that all got sorted out. Again, that is hypothetical and
44 pretty unlikely, especially right now, in my opinion.
47 Rich