From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Gentoo Foundation and Gentoo e.V. (Was: Gentoo Foundation Trustees nominations)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:16:53
1 On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm not sure how Gentoo e.V. and the Foundation are connected; wiki
4 > of the former says "Gentoo e.V. is a partner of the Gentoo
5 > Foundation", though I'm not sure if this is a partnership by
6 > spirit or some legal binding.
7 >
8 > If they are not legally connected maybe it is a good idea to do
9 > this, or may be there are good reasons to keep the status quo. I do
10 > not have a strong opinion here, but it will be interesting to hear
11 > thought of people who understand these matters better than me.
14 Right now I don't believe there is any formal legal relationship
15 between them. I used to be a proponent of having one, but I'm not so
16 sure that is a good idea now.
17
18 As soon as you start forming legal relationships you basically start
19 falling under all the US laws that a lot of people see a non-US org as
20 a solution to. For example, if the e.V. wants to financially support
21 volunteers in a country subject to US embargo, the US Foundation
22 probably would run into issues having a legal relationship with the
23 e.V.
24
25 Part of me thinks that it makes more sense to keep the relationships
26 less formal. Maybe have an umbrella project under the Council that
27 coordinates local legal entities, and then the e.V. and the Foundation
28 both fall under that. Legally they'd be standalone institutions, but
29 the distro-centered non-legal project would coordinate their actions.
30 Even if legally the Council couldn't completely dictate their actions,
31 those voting for board members could ensure that the people who are
32 running the various orgs are aligned to the overall strategy.
33
34 Then if we operate under an umbrella org in a country the liason(s)
35 for that org could also be a part of that distro-centered project
36 under the Council. In the same way we can't dictate all the
37 operations of the umbrella org but the Council could ensure that the
38 representatives working with them are aligned with the whole.
39
40 So, the structure would look something like:
41
42 Council
43 - QA
44 - arch teams
45 - KDE team
46 - Comrel
47 - Local Organization team
48 - e.V.
49 - Gentoo Foundation
50 - Umbrella Org 1
51
52 (Just a smattering of projects above for illustration - this isn't a
53 change to how the rest of the distro works. The relationship between
54 the various legal bodies and the Council is not legally formalized -
55 they would be accountable to their members which should be aligned to
56 the distro members, and should be controlled in a way to avoid
57 forks/etc.)
58
59 Just my thoughts on the matter...
62 Rich