From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Gentoo Foundation and Gentoo e.V. (Was: Gentoo Foundation Trustees nominations)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 12:58:21
1 On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:16:50 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I'm not sure how Gentoo e.V. and the Foundation are connected; wiki
5 > > of the former says "Gentoo e.V. is a partner of the Gentoo
6 > > Foundation", though I'm not sure if this is a partnership by
7 > > spirit or some legal binding.
8 > >
9 > > If they are not legally connected maybe it is a good idea to do
10 > > this, or may be there are good reasons to keep the status quo. I do
11 > > not have a strong opinion here, but it will be interesting to hear
12 > > thought of people who understand these matters better than me.
15 > Right now I don't believe there is any formal legal relationship
16 > between them. I used to be a proponent of having one, but I'm not so
17 > sure that is a good idea now.
18 >
19 > As soon as you start forming legal relationships you basically start
20 > falling under all the US laws that a lot of people see a non-US org as
21 > a solution to. For example, if the e.V. wants to financially support
22 > volunteers in a country subject to US embargo, the US Foundation
23 > probably would run into issues having a legal relationship with the
24 > e.V.
25 >
26 > Part of me thinks that it makes more sense to keep the relationships
27 > less formal. Maybe have an umbrella project under the Council that
28 > coordinates local legal entities, and then the e.V. and the Foundation
29 > both fall under that. Legally they'd be standalone institutions, but
30 > the distro-centered non-legal project would coordinate their actions.
31 > Even if legally the Council couldn't completely dictate their actions,
32 > those voting for board members could ensure that the people who are
33 > running the various orgs are aligned to the overall strategy.
34 >
35 > Then if we operate under an umbrella org in a country the liason(s)
36 > for that org could also be a part of that distro-centered project
37 > under the Council. In the same way we can't dictate all the
38 > operations of the umbrella org but the Council could ensure that the
39 > representatives working with them are aligned with the whole.
40 >
41 > So, the structure would look something like:
42 >
43 > Council
44 > - QA
45 > - arch teams
46 > - KDE team
47 > - Comrel
48 > - Local Organization team
49 > - e.V.
50 > - Gentoo Foundation
51 > - Umbrella Org 1
52 >
53 > (Just a smattering of projects above for illustration - this isn't a
54 > change to how the rest of the distro works. The relationship between
55 > the various legal bodies and the Council is not legally formalized -
56 > they would be accountable to their members which should be aligned to
57 > the distro members, and should be controlled in a way to avoid
58 > forks/etc.)
59 >
60 > Just my thoughts on the matter...
61
62 Thanks, this is indeed a good architecture. Actually we'll have this
63 way a container/VM-level separation of legislative risks and
64 opportunities while still connected via the same host system to
65 achieve the same goals. I really like that :)
66
67 Best regards,
68 Andrew Savchenko