From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion] Refiling as a tax-exempt nonprofit.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 01:06:20
1 On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 03:50:09PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > The board had previously discussed this opportunity (including talking to
3 > the CPA about it) but I think we didn't really gather a consensus about it
4 > in 2019. I have not heard much about it in 2020 and I want it to raise it
5 > again as we begin fiscal 2021.
6 >
7 > I'm more open to this idea than I was in the past but I continue to have
8 > concerns about recruiting board members who will execute the duties
9 > required. While we could keep the current board when we create a new
10 > Foundation I'm curious how we could recruit additional members in the new
11 > Foundation.
14 I don't think you are considering the fact that the board will not have
15 the weight of fixing years of unpaid taxes. They will simply be able to
16 continue paying the retained bookkeeping, taxes, etc each year and be
17 able to focus on things that matter. For instance, they (future board
18 members) can simply vote on reimbursing individuals, possibly GSoC like
19 proposals, and other impactful things.
20
21 > Some thoughts:
22 > - We could recruit outside members of the board who are not Gentoo
23 > Developers, but had advocacy from other OSS projects.
24
25 I personally interpret this as going against our autonomy and dismissing
26 our electorate. The electorate should elect all individuals to any form
27 of board that is responsible to the distribution.
28
29 > - We could try to recruit or modify the way individuals are recruiter as
30 > Gentoo Developers, to make it easier to attract board members.
33 Members of the foundation may run for the board. I believe the real
34 solution is modifying/adjusting the by-laws for entrance as a foundation
35 member. Then let the electorate sort it out.
36
37 > I'd like to also discuss whatever foundational changes we might make in a
38 > new set of bylaws besides simply board membership.
41 Codify the council and GLEP's as official things. Delegate (legally)
42 their role and let us continue on as we are.
43
44 > -A
47 Cheers,
48 Aaron