From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion] Refiling as a tax-exempt nonprofit.
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 22:50:22
1 The board had previously discussed this opportunity (including talking to
2 the CPA about it) but I think we didn't really gather a consensus about it
3 in 2019. I have not heard much about it in 2020 and I want it to raise it
4 again as we begin fiscal 2021.
5
6 I'm more open to this idea than I was in the past but I continue to have
7 concerns about recruiting board members who will execute the duties
8 required. While we could keep the current board when we create a new
9 Foundation I'm curious how we could recruit additional members in the new
10 Foundation.
11
12 Some thoughts:
13 - We could recruit outside members of the board who are not Gentoo
14 Developers, but had advocacy from other OSS projects.
15 - We could try to recruit or modify the way individuals are recruiter as
16 Gentoo Developers, to make it easier to attract board members.
17
18 I'd like to also discuss whatever foundational changes we might make in a
19 new set of bylaws besides simply board membership.
20
21 -A