From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:51:19
1 On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 06:17:48AM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:12 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Team,
5 > >
6 > > This is a meta topic to collect Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee
7 > > Candidates together.
8 > > The idea seemed to work well on -project for council candidates.
11 > > help keep responses and resulting discussion organised.
12 > > Accordingly, I will respond to this post with my question.
13 > >
14 > > --
15 > > Regards,
16 > >
17 > > Roy Bamford
18 > > (Neddyseagoon) a member of
19 > > elections
20 > > gentoo-ops
21 > > forum-mods
22 > > arm64
25 > Dear candidates
26 >
27 > What are your plans regarding future relations between the trustees and the
28 > council? I noted that the council isn't even mentioned in the bylaws
29
30 While I am not up for election this year, I find it important to discuss the
31 proper organization of Gentoo while disregarding the dissolution discussions.
32
33 This is important to me because I believe the dissolution into a newly formed
34 501c3 with a retained CPA is the most viable, responsible, and ensures Gentoo's
35 legal governance by the membership (i.e. those devs, and general members) is
36 retained. An umbrella does not offer this. Conversely, an umbrella requires
37 that we inform those interested in Gentoo and it's future to gain membership
38 with the umbrella organization in order to have a vote in the same matters we
39 currently deal with.
40
41 To answer your initial question and tread across the hot topic of council and
42 trustees...
43
44 This should not even be a debate. I initially ran for council before running as
45 a candidate in the trustee election. Many folks directly accused me trying to
46 run as a trustee because I was not elected for council. These accusations
47 explicitly stated that I was attempting to gain "power" a different way. They
48 were very childish and ill-thought.
49
50 Each body serves a unique purpose. The Gentoo Foundation serves as the legal
51 representation of Gentoo. This (for non-American's) simply means that they
52 own/defend the trademarks, monies, assets, and any legal matters brought against
53 the Foundation.
54
55 The council drives the distribution day-to-day from a technical perspective.
56
57 Overall, I am an advocate for appointing the council as the technical body of
58 Gentoo via the by-laws. If nothing more than just to formalize for the general
59 public that they are the technical body.
60
61 As stated in previous mails, some things *simply cannot be delegated* to
62 individuals who are not legally (I will not get into international laws here)
63 held liable by virtue of a general membership electing an individual to the
64 board of trustees. This includes things such as COMREL, monies, assets,
65 trademarks, legal name requirements for contributions.
66
67 I, personally, have no intent on trying to circumvent or "override" the councils
68 decisions so long as they have no legal implications. We obviously saw the
69 council and trustees work together to pass the GLEP governing Git signed-off-by
70 lines. Of course, this document has no legal signifance. It was, of course, a
71 prudent thing to have done and has allowed the distribution to remain protected.
72
73 That decision should have been adopted into the by-laws first, with a governing
74 GLEP for the technical implementation done by the council. All of this, of
75 course, having been amicably decided by both the council and trustees. One
76 representing the legal interests of the distro and the other the technical
77 governance of the distribution.
78
79 *These situations are rare though and I would hope adults can work together to
80 achieve the appropriate outcome*
81
82 As stated above and told to those who questioned my intentions, I am simply here
83 to support Gentoo as a trustee. That means, I am an advocate for purchasing
84 hardware needed by teams, supporting the developers (e.g. Nitrokeys), and
85 keeping the infrastructure up that allows Gentoo to be successful around the
86 world.
87
88 *This to me is an example of how current and future Trustees should conduct
89 themselves*
90
91 If a Trustee wants to be involved in influencing the day-to-day or technical
92 decisions then we have well-established mechanisms for that and an elected
93 council to decide.
96 Cheers,
97 Aaron