From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Logo usage on http://snapcraft.io/
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:55:21
1 On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 02:19:52PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > Well, proper attribution would help on both fronts, but if we intend
3 > > the name and logo policy to not actually convey full permission to
4 > > use our name and logo, we should probably make that more clear. I'd
5 > > imagine that somebody could just argue that they followed the
6 > > policy, and it constituted permission from the copyright holder.
7 >
8 > The Foundation isn't even the copyright holder of the (vector version
9 > of the) logo, therefore it cannot grant such permission.
10
11 I don't think this is correct. The Gentoo Foundation does have copyright
12 ownership over the logo, see
13 http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=78323020&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
14
15 We try to properly document when the logo can be used (cfr
16 https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/foundation/name-logo-guidelines.html#service-identification
17 ) although we make no claims about which sources can be used.
18
19 IF the use of the logo is according to the trademark guidelines, then we
20 need to look at the source of the logo (be it the vectorized one, or another
21 format) as that one might have additional constraints attached to it. But
22 the primary (legality of use) of the logo is, imo, guided through the
23 Gentoo Name and Logo Usage Guidelines document as referenced above.
24
25 Wkr,
26 Sven Vermeulen