From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Logo usage on http://snapcraft.io/
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:19:59
1 >>>>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > Well, proper attribution would help on both fronts, but if we intend
4 > the name and logo policy to not actually convey full permission to
5 > use our name and logo, we should probably make that more clear. I'd
6 > imagine that somebody could just argue that they followed the
7 > policy, and it constituted permission from the copyright holder.
8
9 The Foundation isn't even the copyright holder of the (vector version
10 of the) logo, therefore it cannot grant such permission.
11
12 > The fact that we have two different policies in two different places
13 > opens the opportunity for letting people argue that they can pick
14 > and choose whichever policy suits them better. They'd basically
15 > argue that we're dual-licensing it.
16
17 > In any case, there is no reason not to clarify our intent around the
18 > policy around the logo. Clarity only helps when it comes to
19 > legalities.
20
21 IMHO, the whole situation regarding copyright and license of the logo
22 is less than ideal. The artwork project's wiki page has 5 versions of
23 the "g" logo with 4 different copyright holders. The only version
24 where the Foundation holds the copyright is distributed under a
25 non-free (and quite restrictive) license.
26
27 I brought this up some time ago in https://bugs.gentoo.org/293309#c29
28 but there wasn't any answer yet.
29