From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo metastructure reform - reality and SPI
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 14:20:44
1 On 2017.01.17 13:25, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 01/11/2017 12:03 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 > > There has been a lot of debate recently regarding Gentoo’s
4 > > metastructure. In response to this, there have been various
5 > proposals
6 > > for reform. These other proposals appear to be focused on changing
7 > the
8 > > way Gentoo operates to conform with a traditional corporate
9 > structure.
10 > > I’d like to make an alternative proposal - change the organisational
11 > > structure to conform with how Gentoo actually operates.
12 > >
13 > > Let’s first consider the proposed metastructure of another proposal
14 > > that’s currently being discussed:
15 > >
16 > > |--Council--(various projects)
17 > > |
18 > > | |--Recruiting
19 > > Board --+--Comrel--|
20 > > | |--Something else
21 > > |
22 > > |--PR
23 > > | |--Releng (if recognized)
24 > > |--Infra--|
25 > > |--Portage (possibly)
26 > >
27 > > This is a reasonable-looking traditional corporate structure, but
28 > Gentoo
29 > > is not a traditional corporation. Our primary purpose is to produce
30 > a
31 > > Linux distribution. The Gentoo Foundation exists to handles legal
32 > and
33 > > administrative matters and should serve the distribution, not the
34 > other
35 > > way around.
36 > >
37 > > Despite the best efforts of the Board, the Foundation has repeatedly
38 > > been plagued with problems such as poor record-keeping and at one
39 > point
40 > > even fell into bad standing. I very much appreciate the work the
41 > > Trustees have put in (especially in recent months to try and
42 > straighten
43 > > everything out), but I have serious concerns about the Foundation’s
44 > > long-term prospects, let alone handing them more responsibilities
45 > and power.
46 > >
47 > > Gentoo is a community-driven project lead by the Council, and we
48 > should
49 > > keep it that way. I therefore propose we follow the lead of other
50 > major
51 > > projects[0] and become associated with SPI[1], making use of their
52 > > various services[2] such as accepting donations, and holding funds
53 > and
54 > > other assets. As an associated project, Gentoo would retain its
55 > > independence - SPI would not own, govern, or otherwise control us.
56 > >
57 > > SPI requires an associated project to have a liaison - a person who
58 > is
59 > > authorised to direct SPI on behalf of the project. I propose this
60 > person
61 > > be a Council member, selected from a vote of all Council members.
62 > Such a
63 > > person must receive at least 50% of total votes and no ‘no’ votes.
64 > If
65 > > this process fails to result in the selection of a liaison it will
66 > go to
67 > > a majority vote from all developers.
68 > >
69 > > The new metastructure would look like this:
70 > >
71 > > |-- SPI liaison
72 > > |
73 > > |
74 > > Council -- Various projects
77 > > [0] http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/
78 > > [1] http://www.spi-inc.org/
79 > > [2] http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/services/
82 > I think this structure could work -- despite being dependent on an
83 > outside entity -- as long as our contract with SPI allows us to retain
84 > rights to our assets. i.e. they can't rob us blind in the event of a
85 > falling out or something.
86 >
87 > What really should decide this imo are the people who have been doing
88 > foundation work already. Ask them if they're okay with throwing away
89 > their work for a company to handle it for us. They're the ones most
90 > impacted by such a decision and deserve the most influence imo.
91 > --
92 > Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
93 > OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
94 > fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
98 Michael,
99
100 Considering joining an umbrella is not a new thing. William (wltjr) has
101 already provided links to the previous work on the topic.
102 As a trustee for over eight years, I personally, don't see it as
103 'throwing away' anything as long as its the right thing for Gentoo
104 (the Foundation and the Distro). Its just progress.
105
106 If it happens, all the Foundations assets would be merged with
107 the umbrella company and they would own them. The Foundation
108 would be wound up and replaced with some group that managed
109 the interface with the umbrella somehow. Exact details vary
110 from umbrella to umbrella and there are are least two to engage
111 with before we make up our mind if we should join an umbrella
112 company and if so, which one.
113
114 Asset separation within the umbrella company is a bookkeeping
115 exercise.
116
117 Of course, if they won't have us, we don't get to make a decision
118 to join.
121 Regards,
122
123 Roy Bamford