From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo metastructure reform - reality and SPI
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 13:26:07
1 On 01/11/2017 12:03 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > There has been a lot of debate recently regarding Gentoo’s
3 > metastructure. In response to this, there have been various proposals
4 > for reform. These other proposals appear to be focused on changing the
5 > way Gentoo operates to conform with a traditional corporate structure.
6 > I’d like to make an alternative proposal - change the organisational
7 > structure to conform with how Gentoo actually operates.
8 >
9 > Let’s first consider the proposed metastructure of another proposal
10 > that’s currently being discussed:
11 >
12 > |--Council--(various projects)
13 > |
14 > | |--Recruiting
15 > Board --+--Comrel--|
16 > | |--Something else
17 > |
18 > |--PR
19 > | |--Releng (if recognized)
20 > |--Infra--|
21 > |--Portage (possibly)
22 >
23 > This is a reasonable-looking traditional corporate structure, but Gentoo
24 > is not a traditional corporation. Our primary purpose is to produce a
25 > Linux distribution. The Gentoo Foundation exists to handles legal and
26 > administrative matters and should serve the distribution, not the other
27 > way around.
28 >
29 > Despite the best efforts of the Board, the Foundation has repeatedly
30 > been plagued with problems such as poor record-keeping and at one point
31 > even fell into bad standing. I very much appreciate the work the
32 > Trustees have put in (especially in recent months to try and straighten
33 > everything out), but I have serious concerns about the Foundation’s
34 > long-term prospects, let alone handing them more responsibilities and power.
35 >
36 > Gentoo is a community-driven project lead by the Council, and we should
37 > keep it that way. I therefore propose we follow the lead of other major
38 > projects[0] and become associated with SPI[1], making use of their
39 > various services[2] such as accepting donations, and holding funds and
40 > other assets. As an associated project, Gentoo would retain its
41 > independence - SPI would not own, govern, or otherwise control us.
42 >
43 > SPI requires an associated project to have a liaison - a person who is
44 > authorised to direct SPI on behalf of the project. I propose this person
45 > be a Council member, selected from a vote of all Council members. Such a
46 > person must receive at least 50% of total votes and no ‘no’ votes. If
47 > this process fails to result in the selection of a liaison it will go to
48 > a majority vote from all developers.
49 >
50 > The new metastructure would look like this:
51 >
52 > |-- SPI liaison
53 > |
54 > |
55 > Council -- Various projects
58 > [0] http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/
59 > [1] http://www.spi-inc.org/
60 > [2] http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/services/
63 I think this structure could work -- despite being dependent on an
64 outside entity -- as long as our contract with SPI allows us to retain
65 rights to our assets. i.e. they can't rob us blind in the event of a
66 falling out or something.
67
68 What really should decide this imo are the people who have been doing
69 foundation work already. Ask them if they're okay with throwing away
70 their work for a company to handle it for us. They're the ones most
71 impacted by such a decision and deserve the most influence imo.
72 --
73 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
74 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
75 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6