From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 19:34:35
1 On 2018.07.17 19:18, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 07:01:18PM +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > On 2018.07.16 22:21, Aaron Bauman wrote:
4
5 [snip stuff I'm not responding to]
6
7 > > >
8 > > > Another option which I have explored is beginning a new
9 > incorporation
10 > > > in
11 > > > a different U.S. State (Indiana). This would allow us to gain a
12 > > > not-for-profit status and proper IRS tax exemption. Upon forming
13 > the
14 > > > incorporation we would redirect all of Gentoo's contributions to
15 > this
16 > > > new organization. From there we would begin moving assets from
17 > the
18 > > > New
19 > > > Mexico based foundation to the new. This would be in the form of
20 > gifts
21 > > > which allows a zero-sum transaction to occur given that the
22 > > > organizations both address the same not-for-profit mission. This
23 > would
24 > > > require a significant amount of money (approximately $30-40k
25 > dollars)
26 > > > be
27 > > > left in the NM foundation to deal with the IRS debt.
28 > >
29 > > That sounds risky for the trustees that vote to approve that. My
30 > > understanding of NM law is that they would be personally liable for
31 > > any shortfall as it could be seen as moving funds to avoid
32 > liability.
33 > >
34 > > Also, we would need to operate two NFPs when at this election
35 > > we only secured enough candidates to staff one ... if they are all
36 > > ranked above _reopen_nominations in the poll.
37 > >
38 > > Its actually worse than that, as ideally, trustees and officers
39 > should
40 > > be separate individuals, except for the chairman of the board, who
41 > > needs to be a board member.
44 > We are not attempting to avoid liability. The move is to ensure that
45 > future contributions are properly protected while the old "non-profit"
46 > is dissolved. Properly protected is meaning that they are indeed
47 > non-taxable contributions to Gentoo vice continuing to bleed out.
48 >
49 > The sad state is, and don't take this personally, that operating even
50 > one
51 > should have been a simple task. Here we are though.
52 >
53 > The laws you speak of are the criterion such as "de facto merge",
54 > "mere
55 > continuation", etc. As stated though, this is not the case as we are
56 > still properly dissolving the NM based non-profit.
59 I was trying to respond to the timing of the gifting to the new NFP.
60 If its done before the tax liability is known, its risky.
61
62 Spinning up a new NFP and directing future donations there seems
63 OK. Moving the residue of assetts there after the tax liability is
64 known is OK too. Thats the formal winding up
65
66 I'm unclear as to how liabilities would be funded while both NFPs
67 operate. The IRS will take o dim view of running down the assets
68 of the old NFP while the new one grows if we end up with
69 insufficient funds to cover our tax liability.
70
71 I can see how the IRS might interpret moving money around in that
72 that fashion as attempting to avoid liability.
75 [snip]
76
77 > > >
78 > > > The council is and will remain the leadership within Gentoo. The
79 > > > by-laws
80 > > > will constrain the trustees to legally execute the direction in
81 > which
82 > > > the council votes. The few exceptions are any legally compromising
83 > > > matters or financial. This also ensures that council members will
84 > > > *not*
85 > > > be forced to legally seek permission from their employers. It
86 > will,
87 > > > however, not remove the requirement that trustees are legally
88 > > > obligated
89 > > > to the foundation.
90 > > >
91 > > > e.g. The council votes that all developers will be supplied with a
92 > > > Nitrokey to address 2FA concerns. The trustees will execute this
93 > > > matter
94 > > > legally and financially. There will be no choice as the
95 > "technical
96 > > > board" has voted and it is final.
97 > >
98 > > The technical board currently has no duty to ensure fhaf their
99 > > decisions offer value for money. Which body would perform
100 > > 'due dillegence'?
101 > > To follow on your example, there are several competing 2FA
102 > > solutions with differing feature sets. While Nitrokey may be
103 > > selected for <reasons> the comparative value assesment still
104 > > needs to be performed or the trustees would be neglecting their
105 > > duty by rubber stamping council decisions.
106 > >
107 > > The council can do this today. I'm sure other groups/individuals
108 > > already do this work before they submit funding requests.
111 > Yes, the intent of the example was not to "rubber stamp" anything and
112 > as
113 > mentioned those legal obligations still remain for the trustees. I
114 > used
115 > Nitrokey in the example unwittingly. The trustees would still be
116 > required due diligence etc. The example would work though as Nitrokey
117 > meets the foundation's mission statement (FOSS etc). Point taken
118 > though. Other's would not even if cheaper due to proprietary
119 > technology.
120
121 Maybe I'm reading too much into this. In the past, the foundation
122 has usually asked applicants for funding to do the due diligence.
123 The foundation then checked it.
124 There is no reason that cannot continue and be applied to the
125 council too.
126
127 Price is only one part of the value judgment, which is why I used
128 the term value.
129
130 As long as the trustees can continue to reject incomplete applications
131 for funding, even from the council, there is no problem.
132
133 [snip]
134
135 > --