From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 20:43:46
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 08:34:12PM +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2018.07.17 19:18, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 07:01:18PM +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
4 > > > On 2018.07.16 22:21, Aaron Bauman wrote:
5 >
6 > [snip stuff I'm not responding to]
7 >
8 > > > >
9 > > > > Another option which I have explored is beginning a new
10 > > incorporation
11 > > > > in
12 > > > > a different U.S. State (Indiana). This would allow us to gain a
13 > > > > not-for-profit status and proper IRS tax exemption. Upon forming
14 > > the
15 > > > > incorporation we would redirect all of Gentoo's contributions to
16 > > this
17 > > > > new organization. From there we would begin moving assets from
18 > > the
19 > > > > New
20 > > > > Mexico based foundation to the new. This would be in the form of
21 > > gifts
22 > > > > which allows a zero-sum transaction to occur given that the
23 > > > > organizations both address the same not-for-profit mission. This
24 > > would
25 > > > > require a significant amount of money (approximately $30-40k
26 > > dollars)
27 > > > > be
28 > > > > left in the NM foundation to deal with the IRS debt.
29 > > >
30 > > > That sounds risky for the trustees that vote to approve that. My
31 > > > understanding of NM law is that they would be personally liable for
32 > > > any shortfall as it could be seen as moving funds to avoid
33 > > liability.
34 > > >
35 > > > Also, we would need to operate two NFPs when at this election
36 > > > we only secured enough candidates to staff one ... if they are all
37 > > > ranked above _reopen_nominations in the poll.
38 > > >
39 > > > Its actually worse than that, as ideally, trustees and officers
40 > > should
41 > > > be separate individuals, except for the chairman of the board, who
42 > > > needs to be a board member.
43 > > >
44 > >
45 > > We are not attempting to avoid liability. The move is to ensure that
46 > > future contributions are properly protected while the old "non-profit"
47 > > is dissolved. Properly protected is meaning that they are indeed
48 > > non-taxable contributions to Gentoo vice continuing to bleed out.
49 > >
50 > > The sad state is, and don't take this personally, that operating even
51 > > one
52 > > should have been a simple task. Here we are though.
53 > >
54 > > The laws you speak of are the criterion such as "de facto merge",
55 > > "mere
56 > > continuation", etc. As stated though, this is not the case as we are
57 > > still properly dissolving the NM based non-profit.
60 > I was trying to respond to the timing of the gifting to the new NFP.
61 > If its done before the tax liability is known, its risky.
62 >
63 > Spinning up a new NFP and directing future donations there seems
64 > OK. Moving the residue of assetts there after the tax liability is
65 > known is OK too. Thats the formal winding up
66 >
67 > I'm unclear as to how liabilities would be funded while both NFPs
68 > operate. The IRS will take o dim view of running down the assets
69 > of the old NFP while the new one grows if we end up with
70 > insufficient funds to cover our tax liability.
71 >
72 > I can see how the IRS might interpret moving money around in that
73 > that fashion as attempting to avoid liability.
76 Correct. The timing will be critical and must be deliberately planned.
77
78 e.g. Server X has been accounted for and depreciation values properly
79 calculated. We may make a transaction transferring this asset to the
80 new foundation. Proper paperwork and liability clauses included.
81
82 e.g. Domain X can be transferred now as there is no depreciation or
83 realized loss. Proper paperwork and liability clauses included.
86 > [snip]
87 >
88 > > > >
89 > > > > The council is and will remain the leadership within Gentoo. The
90 > > > > by-laws
91 > > > > will constrain the trustees to legally execute the direction in
92 > > which
93 > > > > the council votes. The few exceptions are any legally compromising
94 > > > > matters or financial. This also ensures that council members will
95 > > > > *not*
96 > > > > be forced to legally seek permission from their employers. It
97 > > will,
98 > > > > however, not remove the requirement that trustees are legally
99 > > > > obligated
100 > > > > to the foundation.
101 > > > >
102 > > > > e.g. The council votes that all developers will be supplied with a
103 > > > > Nitrokey to address 2FA concerns. The trustees will execute this
104 > > > > matter
105 > > > > legally and financially. There will be no choice as the
106 > > "technical
107 > > > > board" has voted and it is final.
108 > > >
109 > > > The technical board currently has no duty to ensure fhaf their
110 > > > decisions offer value for money. Which body would perform
111 > > > 'due dillegence'?
112 > > > To follow on your example, there are several competing 2FA
113 > > > solutions with differing feature sets. While Nitrokey may be
114 > > > selected for <reasons> the comparative value assesment still
115 > > > needs to be performed or the trustees would be neglecting their
116 > > > duty by rubber stamping council decisions.
117 > > >
118 > > > The council can do this today. I'm sure other groups/individuals
119 > > > already do this work before they submit funding requests.
120 > > >
121 > >
122 > > Yes, the intent of the example was not to "rubber stamp" anything and
123 > > as
124 > > mentioned those legal obligations still remain for the trustees. I
125 > > used
126 > > Nitrokey in the example unwittingly. The trustees would still be
127 > > required due diligence etc. The example would work though as Nitrokey
128 > > meets the foundation's mission statement (FOSS etc). Point taken
129 > > though. Other's would not even if cheaper due to proprietary
130 > > technology.
131 >
132 > Maybe I'm reading too much into this. In the past, the foundation
133 > has usually asked applicants for funding to do the due diligence.
134 > The foundation then checked it.
135 > There is no reason that cannot continue and be applied to the
136 > council too.
137 >
138 > Price is only one part of the value judgment, which is why I used
139 > the term value.
140 >
141 > As long as the trustees can continue to reject incomplete applications
142 > for funding, even from the council, there is no problem.
143 >
144 > [snip]
147 Of course, they would retain that ability. The only thing we are trying
148 to establish is a better relationship between the technical bodies
149 direction and the Foundation supporting them.
150
151 e.g.
152
153 Council: "We want some Yubikeys for our infra people"
154 Foundation: "Sorry, the Yubikey is proprietary and goes against our
155 social contract. Please choose another vendor who meets X requirements"
156
157 e.g.
158
159 Council: "We would like an HSM for our infra team to support crypto for
160 our end user. It costs $10k"
161 Foundation: "Sorry, this would not be a reasonable use of our money as
162 there are better options available such as end-user hardware tokens"
163
164 *note* none of this is meant to be technically sound or imply that the
165 council would ask such things.
168 > > --
169 > > Cheers,
170 > > Aaron