From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Delegating project expenses to Council
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:29:38
1 On 2021.10.11 18:00, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Hello Nonprofit folks,
3 >
4 > In a recent Council meeting, the council agreed to take on the duties
5 > of vetting project-spending. The Foundation nominally has two types of
6 > spending:
7 >
8 > - Mandatory spending. These are things like phone, mail, taxes,
9 > accounting, etc. This spending will remain in direct control of the
10 > board. This spending is used to keep the *foundation* alive (note it
11 > has nothing to do with Gentoo the project in any way.) Eventually we
12 > would like to see the Foundation replaced by an umbrella, in which
13 > case this spending would be replaced by fees paid to the umbrella
14 > company.
15 > - Project spending. Pretty much anything not mandatory at this point.
16 > Note this includes infrastructure spending. So hardware, servers,
17 > reimbursements, posters, etc.
18 >
19 > I'm looking for feedback from the community and the board on this as
20 > we will change the board procedure if the board votes to make these
21 > changes (we have not yet voted.)
22 >
23 > The ultimate goal is to operate a more of an arms-length arrangement
24 > with the Foundation; the eventual outcome being that the Foundation
25 > will cease to exist at some point and be replaced by an arms-length
26 > umbrella holding company.
27 >
28 > Do you think this is a good idea?
29 > Are there more than 2 buckets of spending?
30 >
31 > Looking forward to your feedback,
32 >
33 > -A
37 That looks like a good first step in the process of moving the things
38 that an umbrella won't/can't take on, to the Council.
39
40 There are other things that will not move to an umbrella too but baby
41 steps.
42
43 Other things can be passed to the council or whatever body the
44 council sets up, closer to the cutover date, when we have one.
45
46 As a past trustee, I support the move to an umbrella. We have shown
47 over the years, that we can't really staff our own legal entity, so
48 lets not have one.
51 Regards,
52
53 Roy Bamford