From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Delegating project expenses to Council
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:00:54
1 Hello Nonprofit folks,
2
3 In a recent Council meeting, the council agreed to take on the duties
4 of vetting project-spending. The Foundation nominally has two types of
5 spending:
6
7 - Mandatory spending. These are things like phone, mail, taxes,
8 accounting, etc. This spending will remain in direct control of the
9 board. This spending is used to keep the *foundation* alive (note it
10 has nothing to do with Gentoo the project in any way.) Eventually we
11 would like to see the Foundation replaced by an umbrella, in which
12 case this spending would be replaced by fees paid to the umbrella
13 company.
14 - Project spending. Pretty much anything not mandatory at this point.
15 Note this includes infrastructure spending. So hardware, servers,
16 reimbursements, posters, etc.
17
18 I'm looking for feedback from the community and the board on this as
19 we will change the board procedure if the board votes to make these
20 changes (we have not yet voted.)
21
22 The ultimate goal is to operate a more of an arms-length arrangement
23 with the Foundation; the eventual outcome being that the Foundation
24 will cease to exist at some point and be replaced by an arms-length
25 umbrella holding company.
26
27 Do you think this is a good idea?
28 Are there more than 2 buckets of spending?
29
30 Looking forward to your feedback,
31
32 -A