From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Delegating project expenses to Council
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 20:59:30
1 On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:00:32AM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Hello Nonprofit folks,
3 >
4 > In a recent Council meeting, the council agreed to take on the duties
5 > of vetting project-spending. The Foundation nominally has two types of
6 > spending:
7 >
8 > - Mandatory spending. These are things like phone, mail, taxes,
9 > accounting, etc. This spending will remain in direct control of the
10 > board. This spending is used to keep the *foundation* alive (note it
11 > has nothing to do with Gentoo the project in any way.) Eventually we
12 > would like to see the Foundation replaced by an umbrella, in which
13 > case this spending would be replaced by fees paid to the umbrella
14 > company.
15 > - Project spending. Pretty much anything not mandatory at this point.
16 > Note this includes infrastructure spending. So hardware, servers,
17 > reimbursements, posters, etc.
18 I think some clarity around "Project" is needed here. Where do some of
19 these fall? Into the "project" sense that evolved from ebuild herds, vs
20 as a "task" conducted by a group of people.
21
22 Various groupings of expenditure that stand out from Bugzilla [1]
23 - Infra CapEx (new/replacement server & parts we own somewhere)
24 - Infra OpEx (rented servers)
25 - Development servers, CapEx & OpEx [e.g. catbus.sparc, new $ARCH]
26 - PR OpEx: consumables, e.g. flyers, DVDs
27 - PR CapEx: re-usable banners
28 - PR OpEx: GSOC reimbursements
29 - ?? NitroKey "project" (OpEx per accountant)
30 - ?? Memorial donations (fmccor, avenj, ??)
31
32 None of these are mandatory spending, but they all have various degrees
33 of paperwork and complexity. The PR consumables are frequently very
34 short deadlines, because they get left to the last minute.
35
36 Historically, Infra has an unofficial annual budget of $1K for
37 replacement parts, that didn't include any of the OpEx (Hetzner, AWS).
38 - Past that budget point, funding approvals were needed. Is that likely
39 to stay the same?
40 - Would other projects have baseline budgets in the same way?
41
42 > I'm looking for feedback from the community and the board on this as
43 > we will change the board procedure if the board votes to make these
44 > changes (we have not yet voted.)
45 >
46 > The ultimate goal is to operate a more of an arms-length arrangement
47 > with the Foundation; the eventual outcome being that the Foundation
48 > will cease to exist at some point and be replaced by an arms-length
49 > umbrella holding company.
50 To what degree/spending level will the approval of BOTH bodies be
51 required? E.g. Sparc project wants to spend $50K on a top-of-the-line
52 Oracle server.
53
54 > Do you think this is a good idea?
55 Overall yes, because it prepares the council to take on ownership of
56 budgetary control in the larger organization.
57
58 > Are there more than 2 buckets of spending?
59 Do the OpEx & CapEx spending need seperation?
60
61 > Looking forward to your feedback,
62 Further discussion: I think process improvements are needed regardless:
63 The funding requests/discussion should wind up in SEPARATE bugs than any
64 confidential details, so that the confidential parts [2] can be locked
65 rather than public.
66
67 Does the entire Council need to know some of that PII, or just the
68 treasurer handling the reimbursements?
69
70 [1]
71 Search all bugs for "finance" in the bug whiteboard, which is part of a
72 set of tags I used as part of the financial auditing I did. This list
73 has 96 bugs in total, of which 22 are private, most frequently because
74 they contain PII.
75 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=5857395&order=bug_id&query_format=advanced&status_whiteboard=finance&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr
76
77 [2] PII such as shipping addresses, payment addresses, names of
78 non-developers, as well as business details like things from some
79 sponsors.
82 Robin Hugh Johnson
83 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
84 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
85 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
86 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136