From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Delegating project expenses to Council
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 21:52:49
1 On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 1:59 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:00:32AM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > Hello Nonprofit folks,
5 > >
6 > > In a recent Council meeting, the council agreed to take on the duties
7 > > of vetting project-spending. The Foundation nominally has two types of
8 > > spending:
9 > >
10 > > - Mandatory spending. These are things like phone, mail, taxes,
11 > > accounting, etc. This spending will remain in direct control of the
12 > > board. This spending is used to keep the *foundation* alive (note it
13 > > has nothing to do with Gentoo the project in any way.) Eventually we
14 > > would like to see the Foundation replaced by an umbrella, in which
15 > > case this spending would be replaced by fees paid to the umbrella
16 > > company.
17 > > - Project spending. Pretty much anything not mandatory at this point.
18 > > Note this includes infrastructure spending. So hardware, servers,
19 > > reimbursements, posters, etc.
20 > I think some clarity around "Project" is needed here. Where do some of
21 > these fall? Into the "project" sense that evolved from ebuild herds, vs
22 > as a "task" conducted by a group of people.
23
24 Mandatory spending is spending that is required for the operation of
25 the Foundation.
26 Project spending is literally everything else.
29 > Various groupings of expenditure that stand out from Bugzilla [1]
30 > - Infra CapEx (new/replacement server & parts we own somewhere)
31 Project
32
33 > - Infra OpEx (rented servers)
34
35 Project
36
37 > - Development servers, CapEx & OpEx [e.g. catbus.sparc, new $ARCH]
38 Project
39
40 > - PR OpEx: consumables, e.g. flyers, DVDs
41 Project
42 > - PR CapEx: re-usable banners
43 Project
44 > - PR OpEx: GSOC reimbursements
45 Project
46 > - ?? NitroKey "project" (OpEx per accountant)
47 Project
48 > - ?? Memorial donations (fmccor, avenj, ??)
49 Project, but slightly more debatable.
52 > None of these are mandatory spending, but they all have various degrees
53 > of paperwork and complexity. The PR consumables are frequently very
54 > short deadlines, because they get left to the last minute.
55 >
56 > Historically, Infra has an unofficial annual budget of $1K for
57 > replacement parts, that didn't include any of the OpEx (Hetzner, AWS).
58 > - Past that budget point, funding approvals were needed. Is that likely
59 > to stay the same?
60 > - Would other projects have baseline budgets in the same way?
61
62 I'm not the council; so I'd ask them. Generally speaking I think
63 pre-approved spending limits are mostly a means to avoid doing
64 additional approvals / paperwork.
65 I assume the council does not want to:
66 - approve random infra spending below a certain limit because we may
67 have lots of txns.
68 - approve monthly spend on leased hardware when the amount does not fluctuate.
71 > > I'm looking for feedback from the community and the board on this as
72 > > we will change the board procedure if the board votes to make these
73 > > changes (we have not yet voted.)
74 > >
75 > > The ultimate goal is to operate a more of an arms-length arrangement
76 > > with the Foundation; the eventual outcome being that the Foundation
77 > > will cease to exist at some point and be replaced by an arms-length
78 > > umbrella holding company.
79 > To what degree/spending level will the approval of BOTH bodies be
80 > required? E.g. Sparc project wants to spend $50K on a top-of-the-line
81 > Oracle server.
82
83 Technically, the board dispenses funds (and reimburses, etc.) So we
84 exercise some approval just by doing that.
85
86 Structurally that approval should be pro forma (e.g. all judgement of
87 whether we should spend money is made at the council level.)
88 Some ideas of transactions the board may decline are things like:
89 - Transactions that do not appear to be legal in our Jurisdiction.
90 - Transactions that result in significant risk to the Foundation.
91
92 I think the primary risk (besides legal risk) is fiscal risk. So we
93 might say something like:
94 - The board reserves 3x Mandatory spending as a fiscal reserve.
95 - The board will approve purchases until the reserve is reached, then
96 decline additional expenses (so we can: e.g. pay our accountant and
97 taxes and so on.)
98
99 I think the chances that the council will drop 50,000 on a sparc box
100 (or other significant expense) is about the same (minute / small /
101 low) probability as the board doing the same action.
104 > > Do you think this is a good idea?
105 > Overall yes, because it prepares the council to take on ownership of
106 > budgetary control in the larger organization.
107 >
108 > > Are there more than 2 buckets of spending?
109 > Do the OpEx & CapEx spending need seperation?
110
111 As I mentioned in the council meeting; you and I are Infra and also on
112 the board (and you are board treasurer) so the amount of paperwork
113 related to budgeting is low because we all hold similar positions and
114 share an understanding of the fiscal nature of the Foundation.
115
116 My intent in the current bucketing is to say "the council doesn't
117 approve mandatory *foundation* spending; its approval lies with the
118 board." I can submit an estimate of all mandatory spending if needed;
119 and we can summarize it in the annual reports; the mandatory spending
120 is purchased from the free market in arms length transactions, etc.
121
122 Obviously the gentoo *project* itself has mandatory spending (e.g. we
123 lease 3-4 boxes from hetzner and gentoo would cease to be if we
124 stopping paying for those) and I would expect the project to vote to
125 continue to pay for those expenses (and they are definitely opex.) But
126 they are separate from *Foundation* expenses.
129 > > Looking forward to your feedback,
130 > Further discussion: I think process improvements are needed regardless:
131 > The funding requests/discussion should wind up in SEPARATE bugs than any
132 > confidential details, so that the confidential parts [2] can be locked
133 > rather than public.
134 >
135 > Does the entire Council need to know some of that PII, or just the
136 > treasurer handling the reimbursements?
137
138 I think structurally its fine for the council to know it; but not the
139 public or developers-at large.
140
141 Imagine a hypothetical where the Foundation is gone and Gentoo is,
142 say, a member of the Linux Foundation.
143 Now the Liaison (council) will see PII, and the Linux Foundation will
144 see PII (to disperse funds, etc.)
145
146 In the current implementation, the liaison (council) will see PII and
147 the Gentoo Foundation will see PII (again solely to disperse funds,
148 etc.)
149
150 -A
153 > [1]
154 > Search all bugs for "finance" in the bug whiteboard, which is part of a
155 > set of tags I used as part of the financial auditing I did. This list
156 > has 96 bugs in total, of which 22 are private, most frequently because
157 > they contain PII.
158 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=5857395&order=bug_id&query_format=advanced&status_whiteboard=finance&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr
159 >
160 > [2] PII such as shipping addresses, payment addresses, names of
161 > non-developers, as well as business details like things from some
162 > sponsors.
163 >
164 > --
165 > Robin Hugh Johnson
166 > Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
167 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
168 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
169 > GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136