From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Please communicate with us verses blogging at us
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:20:07
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > By pleading his case to the
3 > community, and more specifically, his fans, he drums up grass roots
4 > support before many of the people within Gentoo are even aware of the
5 > issue.
6
7 Ironically - by doing this he actually tended to galvanize the developer
8 base against him and make then suspicious of his motives. This really
9 isn't how a leader acts.
10
11 I'll be brief as philantrop's reply was far better than anything I'm
12 going to write here.
13
14 He hasn't done anything to lead the devs in this effort. He has only
15 sought to lead the users in a revolution to try to pressure the devs
16 into putting him in charge - polarizing everything into sides which is
17 counterproductive. To lead somebody you must be on their side - not
18 against them.
19
20 Sure, Gentoo needs leadership. However, a true leader will naturally be
21 chosen to lead by his peers - he doesn't need to manipulate his way into
22 position with legal powers to hold the masses at bay. You don't need a
23 vote on the council to lead the council - you need to propose a good
24 idea and influence the community - and it will be approved. Those who
25 are on the council are those who have impressed the developers in the
26 past with their ability to do exactly this. They aren't on the council
27 SO that they can be leaders - but rather BECAUSE they are leaders.
28 --
29 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list