From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Please communicate with us verses blogging at us
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:16:10
1 On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 21:33 -0500, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I would like to believe you have good intentions. Which would be nice
5 > > to be able to discuss with you. But seems like you are avoiding any sort
6 > > of direct communication possibly confrontations. Can you please start
7 > > talking with us, and stop blogging at and about us. It's really adding
8 > > an unnecessary layer of drama.
11 > Agreed. I think a lot of developers are genuinely interested in
12 > Daniel's proposals and his ideas for trying to improve the distro.
13
14 Yes. We are all interested in what Daniel has to say. Most of us don't
15 frequent Daniel's blog, so the best way for him to express these ideas
16 and have them considered by the developers is to submit them to one of
17 the lists.
18
19 In case anyone wants to know which ones:
20
21 gentoo-dev - technical and development-related discussion
22 gentoo-nfp - this list, for Foundation issues
23 gentoo-project - discussion about the Gentoo (Linux) project
24
25 > However, developers want to feel like they're being led in a common
26 > effort - not given orders. As such Daniel's goal needs to be to develop
27 > a relationship with the developers, and not merely to seek to gain legal
28 > control over the foundation.
29
30 Well, even with legal control of the Foundation, Daniel would have zero
31 say in the technical operations of the distribution and developers.
32 However, Daniel specifically asked for such powers, which effectively
33 does two things:
34
35 - Puts Daniel and his appointed Trustees in charge of the distribution,
36 without any form of vote of the members, changing the separation of
37 powers that Daniel was a part of setting up in the first place.
38 - Disbands/Deprecates the Gentoo Council, the elected governing body of
39 the distribution.
40
41 > I'm not quite sure what he expects to happen if he has legal authority
42 > over the foundation and chooses to make a technical decision that does
43 > not have consensus. Developers really can't be forced to obey, and it
44 > could lead to a real mess where you have the foundation threatening the
45 > distro with lawsuits over trademarks and copyrights and infrastructure
46 > developers revoking accounts as every little fief struggles for control.
47
48 This is a real possibility and something that's been discussed. It is
49 definitely a fear among some developers. I'm not one of them, as I
50 think Daniel doing such a thing would be quite defeatist and know that
51 he isn't stupid and realizes this, too.
52
53 > Is the goal to make Gentoo a success? Then let's start working together
54 > and let's stop trying to stir up publicity to try to force everybody to
55 > make decisions a certain way.
56
57 I believe that his intentions are noble, even if his approach leaves
58 something to be desired. I also think that I understand his reason for
59 doing things the way that he has done them. By pleading his case to the
60 community, and more specifically, his fans, he drums up grass roots
61 support before many of the people within Gentoo are even aware of the
62 issue. This does put certain pressure to get a decision made, adding a
63 deadline just puts the final nail in the coffin. It is either all or
64 nothing, and we relinquish all control to Daniel so he can do what he
65 thinks needs to be done, without discussion. I don't know whether he
66 believes that democracy and every developer having a voice has itself
67 been a cause of much of the recent issues, but it is definitely
68 something that could be plausible as a motive.
71 Chris Gianelloni
72 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
73 Games Developer