From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Please communicate with us verses blogging at us
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:33:34
1 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 >
3 > I would like to believe you have good intentions. Which would be nice
4 > to be able to discuss with you. But seems like you are avoiding any sort
5 > of direct communication possibly confrontations. Can you please start
6 > talking with us, and stop blogging at and about us. It's really adding
7 > an unnecessary layer of drama.
10 Agreed. I think a lot of developers are genuinely interested in
11 Daniel's proposals and his ideas for trying to improve the distro.
12 However, developers want to feel like they're being led in a common
13 effort - not given orders. As such Daniel's goal needs to be to develop
14 a relationship with the developers, and not merely to seek to gain legal
15 control over the foundation.
16
17 I'm not quite sure what he expects to happen if he has legal authority
18 over the foundation and chooses to make a technical decision that does
19 not have consensus. Developers really can't be forced to obey, and it
20 could lead to a real mess where you have the foundation threatening the
21 distro with lawsuits over trademarks and copyrights and infrastructure
22 developers revoking accounts as every little fief struggles for control.
23
24 Is the goal to make Gentoo a success? Then let's start working together
25 and let's stop trying to stir up publicity to try to force everybody to
26 make decisions a certain way.
27
28 Daniel - take a look at the discussions on the various lists and see
29 what the developers are saying, and react. Maybe you'll win people
30 over. Maybe you won't. Either way it is important to find out. One
31 way or another we will find out which it will be, and it is unlikely
32 that a title like "Gentoo President" will make much difference in your
33 effectiveness in leading the distro. I think that a lot of devs would
34 take your ideas seriously - but you need to trust them to be able to
35 make their own decisions without coercion. In a volunteer-driven
36 organization it really can't work any other way. You can't just have
37 the developers finally agree on a GLEP and then have the foundation step
38 in without bothering to participate and veto it. Why would developers
39 expect you to participate in the day-to-day operations as president when
40 you don't participate on mailing lists as a candidate president?
41
42 If trying to convince developers of the rightness of your cause isn't
43 worth your time, and you'd simply prefer to dictate a course, I suspect
44 that not much will come of your offer. Sure, it could be put to a vote,
45 but I doubt that will turn out in favor of the role you desire. And
46 legally nothing can happen quickly - in order for a vote to occur there
47 has to be notice/etc - this is a legal corporation and you can't just
48 set up a forum poll to make a decision.
49
50 That is also a big boundary to involving users legally in the foundation
51 - which ones get to vote and how do you identify them? Does it come
52 down to who can register the largest number of hotmail accounts? Last
53 time I checked postfix can handle a very large alias list... :) And is
54 it in the interests of gentoo to potentially have its developers and
55 foundation in conflict? I think that in the very least we need to base
56 voting on contribution - even if it isn't just developers.
57
58 Apologies for seeming to hit a couple of topics here in a
59 somewhat-disorganized fashion...
60 --
61 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list