From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Developer Crypto Hardware (AGM)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:59:34
1 On Sun, 2018-08-19 at 22:01 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 02:42:23PM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > > Gentoo-bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/659620
4 >
5 > I have some discussion items & questions regarding the details of the
6 > proposal. The questions are explicitly marked with 'Question:' so that
7 > they stand out. I have asked questions in both roles I hold: Treasurer
8 > of the Foundation & lead of the Infrastructure team.
9 >
10 > 1. Quantity:
11 > (this is mostly to answer other people asking on the lists)
12 > The Foundation has specified 150 units as the quantity for price
13 > quoting, despite 176 developers being listed as active in LDAP. There
14 > are multiple factors here:
15 > - The Foundation did not want to commit to buying more keys than needed
16 > - This may be an impetus for inactive developers to retire
17 > - 151 developers have access to repo/gentoo.git
18 > - 140 unique developers committed to any gentoo.org Git/CVS in the last
19 > 6 months (123 in the last 3 months).
20
21 Also note that some developer have hardware tokens already, or stated
22 that they will get one themselves once GF selects the type.
23
24 > 4. Functionality:
25 > Infra discussions about a potential single-sign-on system for
26 > authentication (not commit signing) seems to be converging around OATH &
27 > U2F systems, or the upcoming FIDO2 standard [expect new keys to be
28 > available later this year or early next year]. The Nitrokey Pro will
29 > offer OpenPGP only, while the YubiKey FIPS will offer both OpenPGP &
30 > U2F.
31
32 For the record, I'm not convinced about using a single device for both
33 purposes. Given that some developers are using OpenPGP to encrypt
34 password stores, and that we are testing support for 2-step
35 authentication for SSH, having the same device provide both elements
36 might defeat the purpose of the exercise.
37
38 > 5. Ownership:
39 > As Treasurer, I would like to point out that this hardware will remain
40 > the property of the Foundation for 6 years. This is the relevant
41 > depreciation lifespan permitted by IRS regulations. The shipping cost
42 > however to return an individual unit will exceed the remaining value
43 > after 2 years (depending on the purchasing quarter, by the end of the
44 > second financial year, 43-61% of the unit value will be depreciated).
45 >
46 > 5.1 Question (as Treasurer): As part of accepting the motions to purchase,
47 > the Board must implement written requirements for developers to return
48 > the keys, at their own cost, if the developer retires within 2.5 years
49 > of ordering the unit.
50
51 As mentioned in the other mail, should we account for financial
52 reimbursement in case developer doesn't return / loses the device?
53 Furthermore, should we permit developers to keep it if they reimburse
54 the Foundation? I'm not sure how far this is legally feasible.
55
56 > (snip parts of quotes)
57 > > All, this email will serve as a comparison between the two vendors which
58 > > have provided quotes to the Foundation. This does not include Alice's
59 > > proposal as U2FZero is currently out of stock in the United States and
60 > > does not seem to offer any availability in Asia.
61 >
62 > 6. Question: Other Vendors
63 > Are there other vendors we wish to consider or specifically exclude,
64 > such as Feitan? Not saying we should include them, just cover that
65 > people are aware of them.
66
67 I've asked the same on IRC. I think it might have been a better idea to
68 first officially announce that we're looking for the hardware with some
69 basic requirements, and let people reply with suggestions/offers.
70
71 > 8. As noted on IRC, please include VAT in the estimation for Yubikey.
72 > For Nitrokey it's covered in their FAQ:
73 > https://www.nitrokey.com/documentation/frequently-asked-questions#pricing-and-vat
74
75 Is anyone aware if Gentoo eV is capable of getting a VAT return for
76 this? If that were the case, it might be a better idea to pass it over
77 to them.
80 Best regards,
81 Michał Górny