From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Developer Crypto Hardware (AGM)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 22:01:56
1 On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 02:42:23PM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > Gentoo-bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/659620
3 I have some discussion items & questions regarding the details of the
4 proposal. The questions are explicitly marked with 'Question:' so that
5 they stand out. I have asked questions in both roles I hold: Treasurer
6 of the Foundation & lead of the Infrastructure team.
7
8 1. Quantity:
9 (this is mostly to answer other people asking on the lists)
10 The Foundation has specified 150 units as the quantity for price
11 quoting, despite 176 developers being listed as active in LDAP. There
12 are multiple factors here:
13 - The Foundation did not want to commit to buying more keys than needed
14 - This may be an impetus for inactive developers to retire
15 - 151 developers have access to repo/gentoo.git
16 - 140 unique developers committed to any gentoo.org Git/CVS in the last
17 6 months (123 in the last 3 months).
18
19 2. Location of developers, shipping costs:
20 Of the 176 developers in LDAP, here's an approximate breakdown by
21 location:
22 89 Europe (includes EU, UK, CH, Nordics & others)
23 62 USA
24 7 Far-East (China, Japan, Singapore)
25 7 Russia
26 5 Canada
27 3 Middle-East
28 2 South-America
29 1 Unknown
30
31 2.1 Question (from Treasurer): Based on the above, please update the
32 proposal to include a fair estimate of shipping as part of the approval
33 process. Using worst-case for those outside of Europe/USA is acceptable.
34 I can provide a breakdown by country for this purpose.
35
36 3. Shipping restrictions.
37 Yubico notes the following countries they cannot ship to:
38 > China, Afghanistan, Russia, Ukraine, North Korea, Iran, Sudan or Syria
39 Of that list, we presently, recently had or in the near future will have
40 (recruitment pipeline) 12 developers in: China, Russia, Ukraine, Iran
41
42 3.1 Question (from Treasurer): Does Nitrokey have by-country shipping
43 restrictions?
44
45 3.2 Question (from Treasurer, from Infra): If the vendor chosen of the Board
46 will not or cannot ship to the countries in question, what options do we
47 provide for developers in those countries?
48
49 4. Functionality:
50 Infra discussions about a potential single-sign-on system for
51 authentication (not commit signing) seems to be converging around OATH &
52 U2F systems, or the upcoming FIDO2 standard [expect new keys to be
53 available later this year or early next year]. The Nitrokey Pro will
54 offer OpenPGP only, while the YubiKey FIPS will offer both OpenPGP &
55 U2F.
56
57 4.1 Question (from Infra): If the Foundation choses the Nitrokey offer,
58 could future provision be made to ALSO offer separate U2F/FIDO2 keys to
59 developers? Subject to comments by the security team, the Nitrokey U2F
60 would be acceptable.
61
62 5. Ownership:
63 As Treasurer, I would like to point out that this hardware will remain
64 the property of the Foundation for 6 years. This is the relevant
65 depreciation lifespan permitted by IRS regulations. The shipping cost
66 however to return an individual unit will exceed the remaining value
67 after 2 years (depending on the purchasing quarter, by the end of the
68 second financial year, 43-61% of the unit value will be depreciated).
69
70 5.1 Question (as Treasurer): As part of accepting the motions to purchase,
71 the Board must implement written requirements for developers to return
72 the keys, at their own cost, if the developer retires within 2.5 years
73 of ordering the unit.
74
75 (snip parts of quotes)
76 > All, this email will serve as a comparison between the two vendors which
77 > have provided quotes to the Foundation. This does not include Alice's
78 > proposal as U2FZero is currently out of stock in the United States and
79 > does not seem to offer any availability in Asia.
80 6. Question: Other Vendors
81 Are there other vendors we wish to consider or specifically exclude,
82 such as Feitan? Not saying we should include them, just cover that
83 people are aware of them.
84
85 > Alice did suggest that we split vendors across geographical markets,
86 > but I find this will make the situation become very difficult to
87 > handle. It would also put the burden on individuals to receive and
88 > disperse the tokens and increase shipping costs, burden the treasurer
89 > for reimbursements to be processed, and possibly cause delays.
90 As Treasurer, I would greatly prefer to paying fewer large bills rather
91 than many small reimbursements, or individually handling small shipping.
92
93 > Yubikey:
94 ...
95 (Infra-hat) This has my preference as better product, but worse
96 conditions.
97
98 > Nitrokey:
99 >
100 > Quote received based on (150) Nitrokey Pro tokens.
101 7. Question, as Infra: product clarification
102 Is this the 'Nitrokey Pro 2' as listed on the Nitrokey website, or the
103 older 'Nitrokey Pro'?
104
105 > All prices are already inclusive of VAT.
106 8. As noted on IRC, please include VAT in the estimation for Yubikey.
107 For Nitrokey it's covered in their FAQ:
108 https://www.nitrokey.com/documentation/frequently-asked-questions#pricing-and-vat
109
110 > Shipping times can be found here [2]. Shipping costs can be found here
111 > [3]. The most expensive shipping is worldwide starting at 7,40 €
112 > ($8.47 USD at the the time of this email).
113 >
114 > Nitrokey has also offered several unique options for Gentoo. They will
115 > provide a custom portal which allows each developer to request their
116 > security token. This is done via a Foundation (infra really) provided
117 > list of valid gentoo.org email addresses. Additionally, they will
118 > provide monthly billing of all purchased devices and the Foundation is
119 > not obligated to purchase all (150) tokens. This can be a standing
120 > agreement until the Foundation decides to remove financial support.
121 As Treasurer, the shipping portal & monthly billing gets a big thumbs up
122 from me.
123
124 > Considering both vendors, we can estimate shipping at the highest cost
125 > in order to best prepare for potential expenses.
126 As noted above, please put an amount on the shipping estimate.
127
128 > Motion: I move that the board vote to accept the offer from Yubico or
129 > Nitrokey and begin our agreement with the accepted vendor beginning 1
130 > September 2018. This motion will provide security tokens to all current
131 > developers listed in Gentoo's LDAP infrastructure as of 31 August 2018.
132 >
133 > Motion: I move that the board vote to maintain the aforementioned
134 > agreement in order to support future Gentoo developers with security
135 > tokens. This motion includes the right to terminate future purchases
136 > based on the Foundation's financials.
137
138 Please see remarks above about:
139 A. Treasurer: Keys to remain the property of the Foundation, and need to
140 be returned if devs leave before 2.5 years.
141 B. Infra: Planning for U2F keys as well (I do consider it acceptable if we
142 issue every developer both a NitroKey Pro & a Nitrokey U2F).
145 Robin Hugh Johnson
146 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
147 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
148 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
149 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136