From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Agenda item: Formalize Gentoo's org structure
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 17:47:44
1 On 18-04-10 19:28:11, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu pon, 09.04.2018 o godzinie 12∶50 -0500, użytkownik Matthew Thode
3 > napisał:
4 > > On 18-04-09 18:57:27, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > > But let's get to the details.
6 > > >
7 > > > Your proposal -- once again -- makes Trustees the highest-level
8 > > > governing body of Gentoo and reduces Council to technical matters. This
9 > > > is against GLEP 39 which clearly states that Council is responsible for
10 > > > all global decisions and as far as I'm aware is the most recent policy
11 > > > defining the role of Council. Unless you have a strong reason to
12 > > > believe that this policy has been illegally forced upon Gentoo, you are
13 > > > not 'formalizing' anything but attempting to change well-established
14 > > > metastructure and outright lying to the community that the current state
15 > > > is undefined.
16 > > >
17 > > > I believe that Trustees can't be the highest governing body of Gentoo
18 > > > for a number of reasons. I will enumerate those I can think of below:
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > GLEP 39 is not legally binding. This proposal would make glep 39 need
22 > > changes (mainly that there would be a governing body above council). At
23 > > that point glep 39 could possibly be made into a bylaw.
24 >
25 > Are you saying that Trustees do not have to respect the result of vote
26 > done among all Gentoo developers?
27
28 The trustees are beholden to those that elected them, namely the
29 foundation membership, while many of them are developers, some are not.
30 So, no, we do not have to respect a result of those that are not our
31 members. Even if our members voted for something illegal we likely
32 wouldn't have to respect that either.
33
34 Having said that, I would keep in mind that 'have to' is an absolute. I
35 would take any such results into heavy consideration, but I can't just
36 rubber-stamp such things.
39 > > > 1. Trustee elections are not even half as democractic as Council
40 > > > elections.
41 > > >
42 > > > With no 'reopen nominations', with the ability to accept Trustees
43 > > > without a vote or for existing Trustees to appoint new Trustees for
44 > > > missing slots, and finally with low interest in developers becoming
45 > > > Trustees, this is effectively 'Trustee seat giveaway' and not
46 > > > an election. This is already bad enough for governing the Foundation
47 > > > and I am fully against extending this to governing the whole of Gentoo.
48 > > >
49 > > > And if you believe that reducing the power of Council will suddenly
50 > > > convince developers to increase their interest in becoming Trustees, you
51 > > > are wrong, for reasons outlined in further points.
52 > > >
53 > >
54 > > Unfortunately we have not had the turnout we always with to have (for
55 > > nominees or voters). Also, as this is a business things are not
56 > > necessarily always democratic (as much as we've tried to make them be).
57 >
58 > Gentoo is not a business. If you are attempting to turn a volunteer-
59 > driven open source project into a business... I just can't find
60 > appropriate words to describe this.
63 Gentoo is a product, the Gentoo Foundation is a business. There are
64 many volunteer run orgs that are businesses. Maybe it's not the same
65 world wide?
68 > > >
69 > > > 2. Bad Trustee work... increases their chances of re-election.
70 > > >
71 > > > Given that each new Trustee takes legal responsibility about the state
72 > > > of Foundation, he/she is directly endangered by repercussions of any
73 > > > problems within the Foundation, including problems caused by previous
74 > > > Trustees. As far as I'm aware, we hadn't established any clear way of
75 > > > new Trustees protecting themselves against this, and most of the new
76 > > > candidates aren't really capable of suing previous board 'just in case'
77 > > > as Kristian suggested.
78 > > >
79 > > > As a result, if Trustees leave Foundation in a bad state (which has been
80 > > > the case so far), then a number of candidates is going to refuse
81 > > > the nomination because they do not want to take responsibility for
82 > > > mistakes of their predecessors. And this goes on recursively. At this
83 > > > point, even if Trustees finally managed to finish IRS as they claim
84 > > > they'll do, I personally would still have serious doubt whether I could
85 > > > really trust things are fully solved.
86 > > >
87 > >
88 > > D&O insurance is an option, just a very expensive one. That was the
89 > > first task I undertook when I was voted in/joined. Also, if no one
90 > > steps up and tries to clean up it'll just go on (as you mention). I
91 > > intend to clean this up.
92 >
93 > Do you intend to clean it up or do you intend to make someone else do
94 > it? I think that's a major difference because I don't really see any of
95 > the trustees trying to learn bookkeeping so that Robin wouldn't have to
96 > do everything himself.
97
98 I think I just said that I intend to clean it up.
102 > > >
103 > > > 4. Not everyone can be a legal Foundation representative.
104 > > >
105 > > > This has been the argument a lot of people mentioned. Some of our
106 > > > developers simply can't legally be an Officer, not to mention Trustee
107 > > > because of their employment or other legal positions. Your proposal
108 > > > unjustly prevents them from having any governing position.
109 > > >
110 > >
111 > > Yes, it is the biggest drawback. I'm not sure how they are allowed to
112 > > be what in effect is an officer though (council members are in effect
113 > > officers, even if not explicitly so, at least in my view).
114 >
115 > Your view is not the law.
118 Nope, only a judge can interpret the law, that's why I said 'in my view'.
121 > > >
122 > > > 5. You are conflating governing and bureaucracy.
123 > > >
124 > > > What we have right now is two disjoint bodies: Council which is elected
125 > > > as representatives of developers, and Trustees who are responsible for
126 > > > dealing with the bureaucracy. With your proposal, developers are now
127 > > > partially governed by bureaucrats for no real reason except... we need
128 > > > bureaucrats, and bureaucrats want to rule us.
129 > > >
130 > > > What you're doing here is blocking competent people who were doing a
131 > > > good job dealing with non-technical matters on the Council just because
132 > > > they do not have the necessary skills or experience to do the Trustee
133 > > > work. And on the other hand, giving power to people who may not be
134 > > > trusted developer representatives just because they claim they're going
135 > > > to take care of the bureaucracy.
136 > > >
137 > >
138 > > I think you are putting words in my mouth.
139 >
140 > I'm not. If the above paragraphs sound like I am, I am sorry for that.
141 > I merely express what the result of this will be, in my opinion.
144 > > >
145 > > > 6. Trustees have serious problems dealing with their own work.
146 > > >
147 > > > Let's be honest. Trustees haven't been exactly the perfect caretakers
148 > > > of legal and financial matters. Even skipping the tax problems, let's
149 > > > talk about copyright problems. Rich Freeman has started the work on
150 > > > solving them long time ago. Then Trustees were responsible for it
151 > > > and did not manage to do anything except for copying the Rich's text
152 > > > with minor changes (also made by him) to Wiki.
153 > > >
154 > > > The whole copyright effort started again when I established the 'joint
155 > > > venture'. Which was pretty much a nice way of saying 'we will do most
156 > > > of it for you because otherwise it will never happen'. But sure, that
157 > > > was a complex problem.
158 > > >
159 > > > Just take a look at their meeting logs and see how many items keep being
160 > > > moved from month to month with no action taken:
161 > > >
162 > > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Meetings
163 > > >
164 > > > At some point, you start thinking that Trustees are putting more effort
165 > > > in trying to replace Council than in actually doing the things they were
166 > > > elected to do. Do you really think they will be doing a better job with
167 > > > more responsibilities at hand?
168 > > >
169 > >
170 > > I'd like you to restrict the time period of your attacks against the
171 > > trustees to the last 2 years, which have been frustrating, but
172 > > productive.
173 > >
174 > > As far as who's been doing the work. I agree that the council (and
175 > > foundation) members have been doing a lot of work, particularly in the
176 > > copyright area. Keep in mind that rich0 is a member of the foundation
177 > > as well. I wish we had more capable people in the foundation doing this
178 > > work but no one seems to want to step into that role but only do the
179 > > work outside of the foundation's view then dump it in their laps.
180 >
181 > Please do not conflate 'Foundation members' with 'Trustees'. Just
182 > because someone is a Foundation member doesn't mean you get to claim his
183 > work. I should also point out that rich0 has been a Council member
184 > in the past.
187 Yep, it'd be most accurate to state the full picture instead of either
188 half, that's all I was trying to say.
191 > > I wasn't aware it was you who established the 'joint venture', iirc K_F
192 > > even told me it was my responsibility to schedule meetings because it was
193 > > my idea :P
194 >
195 > You're conflating 'joint venture' with 'joint meetings'. I've initiated
196 > the venture meant to resolve copyright problems. You've started
197 > the meetings afterwards.
200 Ah, I misunderstood.
203 > > >
204 > > > 7. Who will oversee the Trustees?
205 > > >
206 > > > Right now, the Council handles all the global decisions and appeals
207 > > > in Gentoo. However, if Council goes rogue and starts working against
208 > > > the goals of Gentoo, Trustees can intervene. If Trustees become the
209 > > > highest authority for decisions and appeals, who is going to intervene?
210 > > >
211 > >
212 > > The same argument works for whatever the 'top body' ends up being, but
213 > > there are two options we have right now (as in you can invoke it now).
214 >
215 > No. Because with my proposal, Trustees still are the legal 'top body',
216 > and get the legal override for the Council. However, since they only
217 > have the power of override and not normal decisions (which means they
218 > make a lot less decisions in the end), it is easy to oversee them and
219 > act if they abuse their position.
222 With my proposal that could still be the case with a bylaw change (it'd
223 also likely be necessary to have the bodies we can only override defined
224 in bylaws).
225
226 One of the primary problems I see right now is that there are no reports
227 from the business we run. It's kinda difficult to run a business blind.
228
229 I've asked (recently) and received no reply to a request for a report on
230 comrel actions taken to be done on a monthly basis. A part of that
231 request was to receive notification immediately upon any indication of
232 legal risk. The last part of the request was to be have the trustees be
233 CC'd in comrel bugs (this is the big change that needs to be discussed
234 not here, it may not even be necessary if the former two requests are
235 honored). It'd be nice to receive this report like we do from infra
236 every meeting, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Meetings/2018/04#Infra_update
237 Normally this update is 'nothing new', but would probably be slightly
238 more than that for council/comrel.
241 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)