From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 21:42:41
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 5:16 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > So my objection in private is the same as my objection in public. In theory
6 >> > the current board is accountable to the foundation members.
7 >>
8 >> In reality, they are not accountable legally.
9 >
10 > I don't follow. Why not? The board already has a duty of care to operate the nonprofit.
11
12 That is actually pretty limited under New Mexico law, and I'm not sure
13 if further restrictions can actually be imposed by the org (and even
14 if they could be, I'm not sure this is desirable).
15
16 And that makes sense, because otherwise every recreational football
17 league/etc would find it impossible to get people to volunteer to run
18 it.
19
20 The more strict requirements tend to come into play for for-profit
21 businesses, and especially for those that are publicly traded.
22
23 Ultimately, you get what you pay for, and collectively as a community
24 we aren't paying for much. Nor, IMO, should we be.
27 Rich