From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 21:16:37
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > > So my objection in private is the same as my objection in public. In
4 > theory
5 > > the current board is accountable to the foundation members.
6 >
7 > In reality, they are not accountable legally.
10 I don't follow. Why not? The board already has a duty of care to operate
11 the nonprofit.
15 > > The board (for years) has not operated the NPO properly. Assuming that we
16 > > successfully shut down the current NPO and make a new NPO and transfer
17 > the
18 > > assets from old to new; how will the new NPO operate better than the old
19 > > one?
22 > I can't garauntee anything. It is a risk we take, but as mentioned, I am
23 > willing to help get it started. If it is kept up with it isn't overly
24 > complicated.
25 >
26 > Additionally, the new by-laws would *legally* hold trustees accountable
27 > for failure in due diligence. Of course, that will probably slim down
28 > the pool of available individuals willing to run for the seats.
29 > Conversely, it will stop people just keeping seats warm.
32 So to summarize:
33
34 A bunch of new bylaws will get voted in.
35 The board is supposed to follow the bylaws.
36 If they fail to follow the bylaws...what happens?
37
38 My general assertion is that "the same thing that happens when the board
39 fails in their duty now" which is nothing and the NPO is continually
40 mismanaged until it falls into disrepair and then is heroically rescued.
41
42 But I suspect the answer will be similar "wait and see for b-mans proposed
43 bylaws which will clarify everything" so I'll just wait patiently.
44
45 -A
49 > > This remains the bit that is unclear to me. I get that the bylaws can
50 > say a
51 > > bunch of stuff; but in the current system:
52 > >
53 > > 1) The board has been unable to file federal taxes; ever.
54 > > 2) The board has been unable to keep proper books.
55 > >
56 > > Lets assume that this happened in the new NPO. How will the operation of
57 > > the new NPO lead to resolution of these (or other unforeseeable)
58 > problems?
59 > > I'd love to see a worked example / proposal; in particular, I want to see
60 > > how it would be different from the current situation.
61 >
62 > The by-laws I am working will make this clear. As a side note, the
63 > umbrella can do this, but they contract as well. I suppose the
64 > trade-off of "dues" to the umbrella and how much we pay a CPA etc is
65 > worth consideration.
69 > > -A
70 >
71 > --