From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 20:59:35
1 > So my objection in private is the same as my objection in public. In theory
2 > the current board is accountable to the foundation members.
3
4 In reality, they are not accountable legally.
5
6 > The board (for years) has not operated the NPO properly. Assuming that we
7 > successfully shut down the current NPO and make a new NPO and transfer the
8 > assets from old to new; how will the new NPO operate better than the old
9 > one?
12 I can't garauntee anything. It is a risk we take, but as mentioned, I am
13 willing to help get it started. If it is kept up with it isn't overly
14 complicated.
15
16 Additionally, the new by-laws would *legally* hold trustees accountable
17 for failure in due diligence. Of course, that will probably slim down
18 the pool of available individuals willing to run for the seats.
19 Conversely, it will stop people just keeping seats warm.
20
21 > This remains the bit that is unclear to me. I get that the bylaws can say a
22 > bunch of stuff; but in the current system:
23 >
24 > 1) The board has been unable to file federal taxes; ever.
25 > 2) The board has been unable to keep proper books.
26 >
27 > Lets assume that this happened in the new NPO. How will the operation of
28 > the new NPO lead to resolution of these (or other unforeseeable) problems?
29 > I'd love to see a worked example / proposal; in particular, I want to see
30 > how it would be different from the current situation.
31
32 The by-laws I am working will make this clear. As a side note, the
33 umbrella can do this, but they contract as well. I suppose the
34 trade-off of "dues" to the umbrella and how much we pay a CPA etc is
35 worth consideration.
38 > -A
41 Cheers,
42 Aaron