From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 20:43:04
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 03:15:21PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 3:04 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 02:21:51PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 > > > > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 2:01 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
8 > wrote:
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > Also, we would need to operate two NFPs when at this election
11 > > > > > we only secured enough candidates to staff one ... if they are all
12 > > > > > ranked above _reopen_nominations in the poll.
13 > > > > >
14 > > > >
15 > > > > ++
16 > > > >
17 > > > > This just sounds like twice as many opportunities to get things
18 > wrong,
19 > > > > and it splits our resources.
20 > > > >
21 > > >
22 > > > You didn't read my previous reply to Roy. It also does not split
23 > > > resources. Plain and simple.
24 > >
25 > > I sent my reply before receiving yours, so obviously I didn't read it.
26 > >
27 > > Even so, running two non-profits splits our money into two bank
28 > > accounts. It is a division of resources no matter what.
31 > All new contributions would be put into a new bank account, yes. The
32 > technical divsion of resources won't matter though as this is a
33 > systematic turnover of assets.
34 >
35 > e.g.
36 >
37 > (1) domains
38 > (2) servers
39 > (3) IP
40 > etc etc etc
41 >
42 > > >
43 > > > > > To follow on your example, there are several competing 2FA
44 > > > > > solutions with differing feature sets. While Nitrokey may be
45 > > > > > selected for <reasons> the comparative value assesment still
46 > > > > > needs to be performed or the trustees would be neglecting their
47 > > > > > duty by rubber stamping council decisions.
48 > > > >
49 > > > > Why would we think that the trustees would do any better a job at
50 > this
51 > > > > than the Council? Why would the Council want to waste money? There
52 > > > > is a limited pool of resources, and if the Council is making
53 > decisions
54 > > > > like this I'd imagine most developers would vote to select people
55 > they
56 > > > > trust to make these decisions.
57 > > >
58 > > > No one said the council will do any better at this than the council.
59 > >
60 > > Roy suggested that the Trustees would need to assess value, which
61 > > implies that the Council won't be doing this.
64 > Yes, the trustees will still handle all legal and financial matters.
65 >
66 > > > Why would this be a waste of money?
67 > >
68 > > I never said it would be a waste of money. I asked Roy why he thought
69 > > the Council would want to waste money that the Trustees might have to
70 > > stop.
71 > >
72 > > > Your paragraph is full of assumptions and no digestion of what
73 > > > I wrote.
74 > >
75 > > I didn't quote anything you wrote, or reply to anything you wrote.
76 > >
77 > > >
78 > > > > If we went to an umbrella org then there is a good chance that the
79 > > > > Council will end up making these kinds of decisions.
80 > > > >
81 > > > > Besides, why would we want multiple decision-making bodies, where one
82 > > > > body can choose to invest in something, and then another body can
83 > > > > ensure that all that investment is wasted by denying complementary
84 > > > > investment? That could go either way.
85 > > > >
86 > > >
87 > > > It is not multiple decision making bodies. The council is leading and
88 > > > the Foundation is providing. The only split is that of legal and
89 > > > financial decision making for (hopefully) obvious reasons.
90 > >
91 > > I wasn't replying to your proposal. I was replying to Roy's criticism
92 > > of your proposal. You proposed one decision-making body. Roy replied
93 > > and said that we need to stick with two. THAT was what I was
94 > > responding to.
97 > My apologies. I suck at mailing lists apparently.
98 >
99 > > > > > Such bylaws would make me nervous ... what happens if the new
100 > > > > > legal entity has insuffcient funds to pay these people. I suppose
101 > it
102 > > > > > just goes bankrupt, like any other legal entity.
103 > > > >
104 > > > > Honestly, I don't see any point in codifying random decisions in
105 > bylaws.
106 > > >
107 > > > Which random decisions?
108 > >
109 > > Ok, now I was replying to something you wrote:
110 > >
111 > > "e.g. The council votes to adopt the FHS as a standard of which all
112 > > Gentoo developers must adhere within the Gentoo distribution. The
113 > > trustees will enact this by amending the by-laws."
114 > >
115 > > Why would we stick FHS in the by-laws?
118 > It was an example, but not a far-fetched one. Why not put it in there?
119 > We should codify things by statute that are key principles of the
120 > organization. FHS may not be determined as such, but again it is not an
121 > unreasonable example.
122 >
123 > A better example would be codifying the code of conduct in by-laws. By
124 > defining who are members and classes of members delineating the various
125 > expectations.
126 >
127 > e.g. Trustees are held to a higher standard.
128 > e.g. Developers are held to a high standard.
129 >
130 > > >
131 > > > > Bylaws are supposed to be general principles we operate on. They
132 > > > > don't codify individual operating decisions. Those decisions should
133 > > > > be documented, but elsewhere.
134 > > > >
135 > > >
136 > > > Sure, by-laws can codify anything you want to set into statute. It
137 > > > allows for enforcement and legal soundness.
138 > >
139 > > So do any other decisions made by the Trustees. They're all
140 > > enforceable. They all represent policy. Bylaws are more about how
141 > > the org operates than its individual decisions.
144 > Sure, and I would agree that some items may not be required in the
145 > by-laws, but searching the history books is no fun either.
146 >
147 > > > > That said, I'm all for paying people to do jobs that need to be done
148 > > > > reliably when volunteers aren't cutting it (and historically, they
149 > > > > haven't been). This is a big argument in favor of an umbrella,
150 > > > > because there is an economy in splitting these costs across many
151 > orgs.
152 > > > > But, if we were independent I'd rather pay a CPA to do the taxes
153 > > > > properly/etc. And then we'd make sure that not a dime gets paid to
154 > > > > anybody without the CPA knowing about it...
155 > > >
156 > > > The sad part is, that if years hadn't gone by and it was done
157 > > > incrementally over time this wouldn't be such a burden. Again, see my
158 > > > reply to Roy regarding umbrellas.
159 > >
160 > > Sure, but there is a reason it happened, and I suspect it will
161 > > continue to happen, because in the end 99% of Gentoo contributors
162 > > don't care if the paperwork gets done correctly. There is no reason
163 > > an individual couldn't do our taxes, but it is important that they get
164 > > done...
167 > Well, that is why I am running. I can at least do it right from the
168 > beginning and mandate future Foundation trustees/officer to be held to a
169 > standard.
172 So my objection in private is the same as my objection in public. In theory
173 the current board is accountable to the foundation members.
174 The board (for years) has not operated the NPO properly. Assuming that we
175 successfully shut down the current NPO and make a new NPO and transfer the
176 assets from old to new; how will the new NPO operate better than the old
177 one?
178
179 This remains the bit that is unclear to me. I get that the bylaws can say a
180 bunch of stuff; but in the current system:
181
182 1) The board has been unable to file federal taxes; ever.
183 2) The board has been unable to keep proper books.
184
185 Lets assume that this happened in the new NPO. How will the operation of
186 the new NPO lead to resolution of these (or other unforeseeable) problems?
187 I'd love to see a worked example / proposal; in particular, I want to see
188 how it would be different from the current situation.
189
190 -A
194 > > --
195 > > Rich