From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 21:19:46
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 4:59 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Additionally, the new by-laws would *legally* hold trustees accountable
4 > for failure in due diligence. Of course, that will probably slim down
5 > the pool of available individuals willing to run for the seats.
6 > Conversely, it will stop people just keeping seats warm.
7
8 That sounds nice in theory, but unless you're willing to pay a
9 professional board the only people you're going to get manning the
10 ship are those too incompetent to realize what they're signing up for.
11
12 And considering that we can't really even fully man the current
13 Foundation, how do we think that driving off volunteers is going to
14 improve things?
15
16 I'm also not really sure to what degree bylaws could actually create
17 more liability for board members when New Mexico law tries to minimize
18 this sort of liability.
19
20 The Foundation is really a product of the community. If anybody
21 actually cared that much about properly running a non-profit then we'd
22 have enough volunteers to do the work, and we'd have a good selection
23 of candidates for the board so that voting can be used to hold people
24 to account. If we have incompetent board members I think that says
25 more about the community than the individuals trying to do something
26 to make things better.
27
28 Now, there are certainly professionals who could do the job well and
29 who would probably be willing to do so under any reasonable liability
30 requirements. There are law firms that even specialize in these sorts
31 of things. However, you're not going to be able to just give them
32 Gentoo T-shirts as their sole compensation.
33
34 I think we have to acknowledge that we as a community don't really
35 care that much to keep a non-profit running, and honestly I'm not sure
36 I can think of a reason why we really should care. I think we're best
37 served by minimizing our dependence on spending money in the first
38 place, and if we must do it just use an umbrella that specializes in
39 such things.
42 Rich