From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on upstream software choices
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 12:25:31
1 On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:37 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > My view is that "use" only applies if there are live, maintained and
4 > exercised alternatives in place. If Gentoo was impacted while an
5 > alternative was put in place, that falls under "depend".
6
7 I think the nature of the impact also matters. Gentoo has had
8 tinderboxes at some points in time, and not at others. These have
9 often been individual dev initiatives, and they might or might not
10 have been 100% FOSS at various points in time. In any case they were
11 largely inaccessible to most of the devs. They (at times) operated
12 mostly as a black box - somebody was pulling our repo, doing some
13 tests, and filing bugs.
14
15 Such as service wasn't really a "Gentoo" service per-se and so the
16 social contract wasn't as important.
17
18 I realize that the QA team does CI/etc more systematically these days
19 and I'm sure that is more likely to be hosted on infra and be FOSS
20 now. I'm not really referring to that, but more the ebb and flow of
21 ancillary services that random developers have provided at various
22 points in time.
23
24 I think a key factor is whether something is actually hosted on Gentoo
25 infra and becomes part of Gentoo policy. For example, we have
26 policies around how bugs are filed/keyworded/etc, and our bug tracker
27 complies with the social contract. If I as a dev do some personal
28 testing of packages and file bugs, it is less important what tools I
29 used to do that testing, because as far as Gentoo is concerned I'm
30 just a random person reporting legitimate errors. Whether I just
31 manually ran emerge -1 foo or had some fancy script that
32 systematically builds every package in the tree and scours the logs,
33 the interface to Gentoo is the same.
34
35 That said, Gentoo is a pretty decentralized distro as far as
36 contributions go, so there will probably always be some debate over
37 whether some particular activity is an essential part of the distro or
38 not. In any case, I think the Council/Trustees have been reasonably
39 practical about such matters, even if they occasionally prompt email
40 debates.
43 Rich