From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on upstream software choices
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 11:38:14
1 On 2020.05.01 07:11, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Consider a case where we have a piece of software and its open source.
5 > The
6 > open source software has various plugins, some of which look useful
7 > and we
8 > may wish to deploy them for Gentoo. However, we must consider the
9 > social
10 > contract, hence this discussion.
11 >
12 > Can we use the plugins if:
13 > (1) They are closed source (e.g. upstream provides binaries only with
14 > a
15 > restricted non-free license.)
16 > (2) They are free software (e.g. FSF / OSI approved license) but they
17 > cost
18 > money.
19 > (b) A subset, its free software and it costs money but it is free
20 > for
21 > open source communities to use.
22 > (3) They are open source, but not free (e.g. they have some kind of
23 > open
24 > license but are not FSF / OSI approved.)
25 > (4) They are open source (and free), but we have chosen to use the
26 > built
27 > plugins (rather than building from source) for the sake of time and
28 > convenience.
29 >
30 > Which are allowed, and which are not?
31 >
32 > -A
35 Alec,
36
37 The key word is "depend" and in UK English, it has a different meaning
38 than "use". It may be different again in American.
39
40 Think of "depend" as being essential to Gentoo in some way and "use"
41 as being a convenience, that would have little or no effect if were removed.
42
43 It follows, for example, that Gentoo can "use" MS Windows but not
44 "depend" upon it.
45
46 A more realistic example is github. Its a convenience, set up as a mirror.
47 The master repo is not on github, so if it went away, we would lose that
48 path for user contributions but several others already exist. Thus,
49 Gentoo does not "depend" on github.
50
51 Thinking back to to github mirror several devs were not happy about it.
52
53 My view is that "use" only applies if there are live, maintained and
54 exercised alternatives in place. If Gentoo was impacted while an
55 alternative was put in place, that falls under "depend".
58 Regards,
59
60 Roy Bamford
61 (Neddyseagoon) a member of