From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] budgets (was: shipping material to the UK)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:30:55
1 On Thursday 22 September 2005 01:27 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > I think a PR (and infra) budget would be a good idea. Even for
3 > expenditures that need to be requested. I feel that for this budget a
4 > year plan should be made with the PR activities and their expected costs.
5 > This would ensure that there is budget left at the end of the year.
6
7 Given that there are no trends to look at in terms of previous budgets it may
8 be hard to say what expected costs are. It can always be guestimated though.
9 And yes, keeping funds at the end of the year is a good idea.
10
11 > On the topic of PR I also feel that the mean purpose private persons
12 > donate money for is to further the development of gentoo. PR does not
13 > directly relate to that goal. If we look at other sources of donations
14 > such as genesi and other companies, they would probably be interested in
15 > PR. I feel the budget should reflect this, and not all money left after
16 > legal fees and infra should go to PR, but some way should be found to use
17 > it to help development of the distribution. And of course some part
18 > should go to reserves.
19
20 I have to disagree here. And let me preface that by saying that a big part of
21 PR should be "Promotion". I think that promotion of Gentoo is an important
22 aspect of furthering the development of Gentoo. Through promotion you work
23 to inject users into this economy we have of developers, users, and a distro.
24 A growing user base is going to in turn draw more developers in, and the
25 developers are doing this because there are users using it.
26
27 PR also has an important task in educating users (and developers). Take the
28 GWN for example. I feel it is a critical part of Gentoo. It doesn't take
29 any money to operate that, but then again nothing in Gentoo has up to this
30 point. With a bit of money more doors of possibility open up.
31
32 As for reflecting the purpose of donations in our budget/reports, I don't feel
33 this can be accomplished. I would have no problems with my donations being
34 used for PR stuff (or even for, say, giving every dev a Gentoo t-shirt), but
35 someone like you may. The money is given unconditionally, and then it is up
36 to the board to decide what to do with it. Obviously, if the board is being
37 frivilous with it and we don't have money for an emergency whereas we could
38 have, they should/would get ousted at the next election.
39
40 Cheers
43 Corey Shields
44 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team