From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins, leadership, etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:16:22
1 On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 20:05 -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 January 2008 07:51:47 pm William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > And what has technical gone wrong with the project as a whole?
4 >
5 > is technical all you care about
6
7 I can see you haven't check the archive huh. Where were you months ago?
8 You do realize Daniel brought up the foundation issues almost a year
9 ago. You were? I brought this up at LWE and again in October on -nfp
10 list. A few days after last communication from SFC.
11
12 > technical is not the community. And yes the
13 > project is moving forward much more slowly technically than it used to...
14
15 Really, any facts to support that statement? Again a quick read of dev
16 archive might show otherwise. For many things we are still the first
17 distro to do things technically. So how is that falling behind?
18
19 Maybe in some areas we aren't as wide, but that's because we are going
20 deeper in other areas.
21
22 > release are a major part of this.
23
24 Sorry, but again QA of any release matters when the last one has issues.
25 Not to mention security trumps it all. If you want things on time go run
26 M$. Who was late with Vista and it still has issues.
27
28 Plus what does a release have to do with those already running Gentoo?
29 Not a whole lot.
30
31 > I used to get ebuild updates daily... now a
32 > couple times a week... and I don't believe this is more strict QA.
33
34 Are you following bugs to support that comment?
35
36 > > Did anyone really care that does now? Of
37 > > those that say they care, did anyone do anything?
38 >
39 > umm... Dan Robbins is offering to do something. will you accept?
40
41 Is this the first time he has made that offer? Why did he leave before?
42 More than once. If you check archives I was trying to support him a bit
43 last time he came back. Just to have him bail a few days later. And we
44 got all kinds of BS flack because of it.
45
46 Sorry but we don't need drama like that. To date the media is playing on
47 and reporting drama. Not facts, or real issues with the project. Just
48 all talking about some blog entry. Like no one has anything better to do
49 or report on :)
52 William L. Thomson Jr.
53 Gentoo/amd64/Java