From: Joshua Jackson <tsunam@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-core] Nominations?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 06:26:39
2 Hash: SHA1
5 >> 300K will buy you a lot of books, but do you need it? Has anyone tried
6 >> talking to the big publishers, to see if we can arrange discounts on
7 buying
8 >> books (and maybe getting copies for free)?
9 >
10 > Mike has worked with oreilly a bit...
11 > I would see your efforts better used in such things as education
12 > vs trying to get all together for a pow wow.
13 >
14 That'd actually be quite nice and useful, as the Oreilly books are
15 quite good actually as reference and training material. I'm sure
16 theres quite a few that we could all use from their extensive collection.
19 >> Sure, we could pay for
20 >> general C, C++, Python, PHP, Ruby et al training, but do we really
21 need to?
22 >
23 > Yes.. most of our guys can't code their way out of a hand basket. if
24 > they could we would see more proactive base development (which we don't)
25 >
26 I'll be the first to raise my hand here and fully admit that in a lot
27 of languages that probably should at least be known a bit I don't. I'm
28 unfortunately a great bad example in this case. I don't know c and I
29 don't know C++. I can read the code up to a point and understand some
30 of what is going on, but to write it I'd be completely lost. That
31 would go for most languages. The languages that I do know to a point,
32 it would take me hours what it would take someone else to write in
33 thirty minutes. Part of this is because I don't write code all that
34 often, my skills in it don't improve.
35
36 >> If there's such a skills shortage atm amongst Gentoo developers, how
37 did
38 >> they get to be Gentoo developers? ;-)
39 >
40 > We have had lower standards than we really should of in the past.
41 > In case you did not notice for year or so there was an influx of
42 > developers for tiny pkgs (no names as that would be very rude).
43 > Thankfully that has slowed down and the ones who were not really as
44 > qualified as they should of been are in much better shape now.
45 >
46 Again, based on what I believe you are going for with this reply I'm a
47 great bad example. I didn't come in to do a tiny amount of packages. I
48 came in not knowing what the heck I was going to be doing exactly, and
49 got picked up...well basically swallowed by x86. Its turned out that I
50 hopefully do quite a bit (I certainly feel that I spend quite a lot of
51 hours doing it after work), however its not what you'd really call
52 development that you are talking about later on. Its a Quality
53 Assurance job. So in that sense, I shouldn't be here. I don't take any
54 hard feelings about it as I understand that I'm not as valuable to the
55 project as someone who can code their way out of the paper bag. I have
56 a limited scope of what I am capable of doing.
60 >> I'm looking at the
61 >> intangibles, such as the effect that a fragmented and polarised group is
62 >> having on moving the distro forward, and on general morale. I look at
63 other
64 >> opensource projects that I'm involved with, and I see that face to face
65 >> contact breaks down communication barriers.
66 >
67 > regional events do this quite well.
68 >
69 I'd like to see more regional events actually, as those are something
70 that devs in the area can generally get to. Now that takes regional
71 coordinators or something of the like but its a option that a lot of
72 people could possible afford on their own..if held someplace
73 unrealities cheap.
84 gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list