From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 20:45:40
1 On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:14 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi, everyone.
4 >
5 > As some of you have read, I have proposed a new privacy-oriented voting
6 > frontend for Gentoo [1]. However, the whole idea was rendered pretty
7 > much pointless by Trustees demanding information on who cast a vote.
8 > This is currently used to determine 'interest in Foundation',
9 > and therefore kick inactive Foundation members. To be honest, I think
10 > it's misguided, for three reasons:
13 > 1. It intrudes on privacy of voters. I suppose it's not *that major*
14 > but still I don't think it's appropriate to publish a 'shame list' of
15 > people who haven't voted for whatever reason.
18 I believe in your right to vote and have the content of the vote be
19 private. I don't believe in your right to vote anonymously in Foundation
20 elections. The fact that you voted should be public. The foundation has
21 minimal requirements for membership; if you don't vote in foundation
22 affairs (1 vote a year!) then I don't see the point in being a member. It's
23 basically the only difference afforded to members[0]! I don't believe we do
24 publish a list of who voted in every election, but we do publish a
25 membership list and there is definitely a correlation and its intentional.
29 > 2. It introduces a big weakness in the system. My whole idea was to
30 > make it practically impossible to sniff votes after the election is
31 > prepared. With this solution, anyone with sufficient privileges
32 > (election officials, infra) can trivially passively sniff votes.
35 We need to know who cast votes, we don't need to know the content of the
36 votes. I assume building such a system is possible (maybe it isn't?)
40 > 3. It is really meaningless. Casting a vote does not really indicate
41 > any interest in GF. It only indicates that someone has done the minimal
42 > effort to avoid being kicked. There is no reason to conflate the two.
45 I'm certainly interested in other avenues of interest, but I don't see very
46 many in this thread other than "AGM attendance" and "asking people if they
47 are interested[0]"
52 > I believe we should consider other options of determining activity.
53 > Depending on whether we actually want to keep people actually interested
54 > in GF, or just those caring enough to stay, I can think of a few
55 > options.
56 >
57 > The most obvious solution would be to take AGM attendance as indication
58 > of interest. It would also create an interest in actually attending,
59 > and make it possible to finally reach a quorum. However, it's rather
60 > a poor idea given that AGMs tend to happen in middle of the night for
61 > European devs. We would probably have to accept excuses for not
62 > attending, and then measuring attendance will probably be meaningless
63 > anyway.
66 Attendance of a single meeting per year is a bad idea without some kind of
67 proxy system in place, same as any corporation.
71 > Another option (which some people aren't going to like) is to require
72 > all Foundation members to be Gentoo devs (but not the other way around),
73 > and then terminate GF membership along with developer status. Given
74 > that there's only a few non-dev members, and most of them are retired
75 > devs whose membership simply didn't terminate by existing rules yet, I
76 > think there shouldn't really be a problem in making the few interested
77 > members non-commit devs by existing rules.
80 This doesn't really imply interested in the Foundation either though;
81 because the developership and Foundation are separate.
85 > Finally, if we really don't care we could just send pings and terminate
86 > membership of people that don't answer in time. This is pretty much
87 > similar to the current idea with voting, except it doesn't pretend to be
88 > meaningful.
91 The point of tracking who votes is that votes are nominally the only real
92 difference between members and non-members; so in the end it's one of the
93 few ways members can express their interest. If we had shares, then owning
94 those would be an interest; or donations, or funding requests, or some
95 other idea.
96
97 -A
98
99 [0] A plausible reality is that most members don't even have 'an interest'
100 in Foundation affairs and if we increase the minimum requirement for
101 membership we might see a precipitous drop in member count; we would need
102 to debate whether or not this is a desired outcome or not.
107 > WDYT?
108 >
109 > [1]
110 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/6977bf6f9b72a17847fdc93afd4d9a9f