From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 05:29:26
1 On Thu, 2019-09-05 at 13:45 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:14 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi, everyone.
5 > >
6 > > As some of you have read, I have proposed a new privacy-oriented voting
7 > > frontend for Gentoo [1]. However, the whole idea was rendered pretty
8 > > much pointless by Trustees demanding information on who cast a vote.
9 > > This is currently used to determine 'interest in Foundation',
10 > > and therefore kick inactive Foundation members. To be honest, I think
11 > > it's misguided, for three reasons:
12 > >
13 > > 1. It intrudes on privacy of voters. I suppose it's not *that major*
14 > > but still I don't think it's appropriate to publish a 'shame list' of
15 > > people who haven't voted for whatever reason.
18 > I believe in your right to vote and have the content of the vote be
19 > private. I don't believe in your right to vote anonymously in Foundation
20 > elections. The fact that you voted should be public. The foundation has
21 > minimal requirements for membership; if you don't vote in foundation
22 > affairs (1 vote a year!) then I don't see the point in being a member. It's
23 > basically the only difference afforded to members[0]! I don't believe we do
24 > publish a list of who voted in every election, but we do publish a
25 > membership list and there is definitely a correlation and its intentional.
26
27 So, say, if I am actively helping Foundation 8 months a year but I
28 happen to be on long vacation (finally!) during the election (which
29 we're considering shortening, AFAIR), should I be removed?
30
31 I think you are overestimating the value of a vote. A vote doesn't
32 guarantee that someone is actually interested in anything, or done
33 anything besides SSH-ing to woodpecker or sending a mail. In fact,
34 you're effectively asking people to ask random votes if they don't care
35 but want to stay.
36
37 I really think it would be better if people voted only if they really
38 wanted to vote, not because otherwise they could be kicked out.
41 > > 2. It introduces a big weakness in the system. My whole idea was to
42 > > make it practically impossible to sniff votes after the election is
43 > > prepared. With this solution, anyone with sufficient privileges
44 > > (election officials, infra) can trivially passively sniff votes.
47 > We need to know who cast votes, we don't need to know the content of the
48 > votes. I assume building such a system is possible (maybe it isn't?)
49
50 If we need to record both the vote and the attendance simultaneously, it
51 is trivial to match the two. With our voting rate, you don't even have
52 to use inotify() for this, just a periodic look at the server suffices.
53
54 > > Another option (which some people aren't going to like) is to require
55 > > all Foundation members to be Gentoo devs (but not the other way around),
56 > > and then terminate GF membership along with developer status. Given
57 > > that there's only a few non-dev members, and most of them are retired
58 > > devs whose membership simply didn't terminate by existing rules yet, I
59 > > think there shouldn't really be a problem in making the few interested
60 > > members non-commit devs by existing rules.
63 > This doesn't really imply interested in the Foundation either though;
64 > because the developership and Foundation are separate.
65
66 Chicken and egg. I'm talking about making one subset of the other.
67
68 > > Finally, if we really don't care we could just send pings and terminate
69 > > membership of people that don't answer in time. This is pretty much
70 > > similar to the current idea with voting, except it doesn't pretend to be
71 > > meaningful.
74 > The point of tracking who votes is that votes are nominally the only real
75 > difference between members and non-members; so in the end it's one of the
76 > few ways members can express their interest. If we had shares, then owning
77 > those would be an interest; or donations, or funding requests, or some
78 > other idea.
79
80 It's funny how money keeps coming up in this topic (it also came up last
81 time when I talked about it) when Bylaws explicitly say that membership
82 cannot be bought.
83
84 > [0] A plausible reality is that most members don't even have 'an interest'
85 > in Foundation affairs and if we increase the minimum requirement for
86 > membership we might see a precipitous drop in member count; we would need
87 > to debate whether or not this is a desired outcome or not.
90 I think having a quorum is one of the things desired. If Trustees are
91 opposed to lowering the requirement for a quorum, then kicking people
92 who are not really interested is another way of achieving that.
95 Best regards,
96 Michał Górny