From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] agenda item: moderation of the nfp list
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:50:36
1 On 17-04-2018 02:11, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:45 PM, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4
5 <snip>
6
7 >> 2. Formally give comrel rights to moderate the list, pursuant to the
8 >> CoC. Moderate in this case means enact warnings/bans with reason given.
9 >> 2.1. The reason given needs to be public (not sure about this)
10 >> 2.2. Those having actions enacted against them are able to appeal to the
11 >> trustees.
12 >
13 > This by itself does not appear to be legal. You can't have some independent
14 > entity policing a mailing list run for Foundation member communication.
15 > There is no clear connection between Foundation and ComRel, no
16 > accountability of ComRel to the user community, etc, etc. This needs to be
17 > resolved first.
18
19 I don't see why the Foundation can't decide to allow the entity (not
20 necessarily ComRel as I've expressed in the other post in this thread)
21 that enforces CoC to do the same on the nfp mailing list.
22 Also, acknowledging that nfp is a special ml, the rules can make it
23 clear that any actions on the nfp can be appealed to the Trustees.
24 In my view, it's up to the Trustees / Foundation members, if they want
25 any moderation in the nfp ml, if / what rules need to be followed in the
26 ml and who is going to enforce them.
27
28 > Furthermore, "warnings/bans" are not an appropriate way to *moderate* a
29 > mailing list. We don't need a mailing list secret police that pounce
30 > through a door like the "Spanish Inquisition" Monty Python sketch.
31
32 ComRel in this area is enforcing the CoC as it was tasked with that job
33 by Council after the Proctors were disbanded and a long time without
34 anyone enforcing the CoC. There have been attempts to revive the
35 Proctors so that they deal with the CoC again and ComRel goes back to
36 take care of the more severe issues.
37 The actions you're talking about (bans and warnings) follow the CoC[1]
38 and are explicitly mentioned in the "consequences" section.
39
40 [1] - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct
41
42 > -Daniel