From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Social Contract and potential liabilities
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 07:51:36
1 On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 09:18:02AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > This was brought forward when we started accepting user contributions
5 > > through GitHub. Yes, we've had the discussion that we don't depend on it.
6 > > But now the question was how do we need to interpret "depend on"?
9 > The Council took up this topic last week. I'm not suggesting the
10 > Trustees are bound by this, but they certainly should be informed by
11 > it. What we agreed upon was:
12 >
13 > "The Gentoo council encourages contributions to Gentoo via manyfold
14 > ways. However, it also recognizes that the usage of Github, being a
15 > closed-source service, poses the danger of data lock-in and should not
16 > be preferred. The question has been posed whether the current usage of
17 > Github is in line with the Gentoo social contract- a question still
18 > open to interpretation.
19 > With this background the council asks for implementation of
20 > * the two-way mirroring of Github pull requests to bugzilla (including
21 > comments and patches)
22 > * the public archiving of Github repository e-mail notifications
23 > * and the mirroring of Github pull request git branches on Gentoo
24 > infrastructure
25 > or functionally equivalent alternatives. The council believes that
26 > this should suffice for all developers to dispell doubts about
27 > adherence to the Gentoo social contract."
28
29 This, and the remainder of the discussion in this thread, already assumes
30 that there is a dependency applicable. There is still the strict
31 interpretation of that paragraph, which somewhat excludes services (it being
32 about the release of our contributions, or the collection of software and
33 documentation that constitutes Gentoo).
34
35 People can also interpret it that it includes services, in which case we should
36 know if "dependence" is in a terminal sense (without it, we can't survive)
37 or in other degrees of dependency (losing functionality, or just losing
38 performance). Right now, services such as those that GitHub provides are not
39 a hard dependency. If GitHub closes its doors suddenly, we will not lose
40 functionality, merely some performance in one of our contributing processes.
41
42 That is not something I personally see as being dependent upon. But that is
43 how I feel when I see the term "depend on". It's a language construction,
44 not a mathematically defined statement, so I definitely understand if people
45 read "depend on" as in "there is a relationship between the two".
46
47 So the other discussions are to be seen in the "worst case", which even then
48 is not a final end. Our "Social Contract" has been written with a specific
49 purpose in mind. It is an attempt to write down the principles in a readable
50 and clear way. Like always, language interpretations can occur. If we notice
51 that the interpretation of the text is not in line with our principles then
52 we should start the process of making our principles more clear.
53
54 That then starts with finding consensus from the Gentoo Project on how they
55 want to evolve. Are the principles of "Gentoo is and will remain Free
56 Software" in jeopardy or not? In what way would we need to either refine the
57 contract, or provide a FAQ document alongside the contract that explains how
58 we feel about specific interpretations (or more specifically, the
59 relationship we would have with external services)?
60
61 I deliberately did not include this in the thread (i.e. I did not ask
62 "Do you consider external services as being part of Gentoo" and
63 "When do you feel Gentoo depends on an external service") as I think first
64 we need to know if there is ground to do this or not.
65
66 Wkr,
67 Sven Vermeulen